Is a 30 min walk a short one?

• Yes

Votes: 54 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Blimey can’t imagine walking for that long

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Wasn't broken. People are more scared of kidnapping than cars.

Must be an age thing.
I was too young to remember much of infant school, but i don't recall ever being taken to school. Hardly any kids were in the 70s. High school was the same, rain or shine, sleet and snow, we all seemingly walked with our bags of books and PE kit and briefly in my case, a tuba!

Near us, they're called OAP's. :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

Its a short walk, even if I'm pushing my Good Lady in her wheelchair its still a short walk.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We used to walk nearly every lunch time for about an hour
Now due to balance and other problems I could do about half a mile on the flat but hills are a problem Downhill is worse than uphill.
Living on top of a steep hill the trike is not practicable for shopping.
Picture from the past. We called it Cleggies revenge as he took it.

Depends on the provision on pavements/sidewalks and the weather.
The US is often very hot or very cold. Plus sidewalks are not regular. The country is set up for motor vehicles.
I expect most people in the UK would be unlikely to walk 15 mins each way to the shops. But would go longer on a recreational walk

I voted that 30 mins is a short walk because I used to walk more than that to get to school in Cornwall or going to Tesco's or the pub when living in Reading. But here in Houston I think I've only ever walked to the grocery store once in almost 20 years, and it's just over a mile away. It's too hot and humid in the summer, there isn't a contiguous sidewalk to get there and crossing the road, even when there are pedestrian lights, is risky. No one walks, therefore drivers never expect there to be pedestrians and so they never really check for them at intersections.

My wife when she lived here in Houston 30 years ago would often walk the quarter mile from her home to a local coffee shop and drivers would stop all the time to check to see if she was ok, and ask if had her car broken down, or did she need a lift.

I will say that most evenings I see a lot of neighbours out walking for leisure, getting their steps in for the day. But they generally suit up in work out clothes, walk in the road and probably only get out for a max of 30 mins. They think I'm crazy taking 2 hours walks in the local park on the weekends.

pawl

Legendary Member
I’m glad I stuck by the advice my heart surgeon gave me following my aortic valve replacement I couldn’t cycle for approximately ten to eleven weeks not because it would damage my heart ,a crash could damage the sternum in the event of a crash He produced a program of exercises of walking keeping my heart rate up Starting with thirty minutes at a heart rate of aprox 120 BPM increasing by ten minutes a week This was backed by the activate your Heart team run by the hospital.

While waiting for op I had put on a stone in weight as I wasn’t allowed to cycle as anything above 100 BPM Ipassed out After ten weeks my weight had dropped back to my 10st 8 lbs and by the end of the course I was attaining 130 beats Pm on my hilly routes

Glad I didn’t go to Ming the merciless for advice

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Must be an age thing.

My mother has an anecdote she likes to trot out regarding my first day at infant school... i cried all the way there. Not because i didn't want to go to school but because she was taking me and I thought I was a big boy and old enough to go on my own. The next day she walked me to the end of the road and kept an eye on me whilst i made my way to the lollipop man, who'd ferry us safely across the road. I was too young to remember much of infant school, but i don't recall ever being taken to school. Hardly any kids were in the 70s. High school was the same, rain or shine, sleet and snow, we all seemingly walked with our bags of books and PE kit and briefly in my case, a tuba!

I would agree.

I must be older than you (started school in the 1950's), there was only one car in the street I lived in (about 100 houses). No need for "lollipop man", there was no traffic!

Don't want to start a completion, but, I was taken on first morning (presumably to complete formalities), thereafter made my own way (on foot, for Infant/Junior School). For Senior school, I cycled there (after doing my morning paper-round), and back (after which, I did my evening paper-round).

The Hovis tasted really good in those days ;)

Top Bottom