Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Where’s my e bike?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Time for the first cafe stop

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Just getting warmed up

Votes: 44 75.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s a long ride for someone not used to cycling. It’s a short ride if you are.

D

Deleted member 1258

Short ride for me, about 6 or 7 miles, enough to get me nicely warmed up.

Reactions: C R
Even for little old me, 30 minutes is a short ride. Short in time and even shorter in distance, I go very slowly! I'd want to be out for at least an hour for 'a ride'. Heck, I only overtake the very slowest of joggers!
HOWEVER it had better not be uphill. If it is uphill, 30 minutes is both an impossibly long ride as it will take forever, and impossibly short, as I will get nowhere.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I can ride about 40 miles in 30 minutes, so that would be classified as a short ride for me. TBH id probably jog a mere 40 miles, wouldnt even bother changing out of my jeans and doc martens.

10 miles in 30 minutes is 20mph. Hardly a record breaking average speed even on open roads.

You're assuming that everyone rides similar style of bike, similar age bracket, similar fitness level, similar health as yourself

Sharky

Guru
Re 10 miles in 30 minutes.
Have a look at the vtta age standards for 10 miles. Even a fit 40 year old is only expected to do it in 26mins and someone of my tender age is expected to do it in 29:30. The latter, this year I've found to be quite a challenge and only once got inside 30mins.

And this is on a timetrial course, which is basically fairly flat and riding bikes designed for speed, although I am on fixed.

For a non racing person, 20mph for 30 mins is a stretch target.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Well I normally ride after work (or to & from work when in the office), with those rides varying between about 35 and 75 minutes, so 30 minutes is a short one for me.

And that is usually between 10 and 18 miles.

And with reference to the 10 miles in 30 minutes comment above, I have never managed to average 20mph for a full ride (though my rides are fairly lumpy - even the 10 mile rides usually show 700+ feet of climbing.

But until the last fortnight, I was riding a hybrid. Now I have a decent road bike, I am getting a bit faster - did 30 miles at 18.1mph average today.

10 miles in 30 minutes my not be "record breaking", but it is out of reach of the majority who aren't cycling several hours per day I suspect.

Drago

Legendary Member
In my heydey I'd ride 13 miles to work, ride anywhere between 20 to 40 miles at work while wearing 2 stone of kit and carrying another stone of equipment and paperwork, then ride the 13 miles home. It was great, I could eat kebabs every meal and not put on weight!

A 40 mile ride on my rest day on a modern racer wearing lycra felt like id been given wings.

Top Bottom