Is a dri-wool jersey good enough for an efficient sweater?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Fletch456, 12 May 2010.

1. Fletch456

Fletch456 Über Member

Hi,

I am..shall we say..an efficient sweater. I sweat like the proverbial. And need a new jersey for when it gets warmer and ideally like things that look and feel good as well as doing a good technical job.

I've been looking at these jerseys from Shutt VR - British made which is nice - and really like them but what do people think of sport wool / Dri-wool as a fabric for those of us who can feel like we are in a sauna when on the bike? Will it do a good job or just help me lose recently gained weight ?

http://road.cc/content/news/3027-shutt-vr-launches-range-british-made-woolen-jerseys

2. GrahamG

GrahamG Veteran

It's blended so shouldn't be any problem at all - I've got a smartwool jersey and a 100% merino. The smartwool drys/wicks/evaporates sweat much quicker IME. I'm a heavy sweater too. I think the only time I wouldn't wear the smartwool would be in 30+ degree heat of the type you get on the continent, but lets face it we don't get much of that here.

3. OP
    OP
    Fletch456

Fletch456 Über Member

Thanks Graham. That's very useful.

4. Fiona N

Fiona N Veteran

I'd agree with GrahamG - for heavier weight i.e. jersey rather than base layer, I'd probably prefer a smartwool version as they seem to hold less moisture and dry quicker. But for a fine base layer, I prefer a pure merino version as I find them more comfortable and less clingy when damp. The fine weave means they dry sufficiently quickly there's no practical difference to the smartwool.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice