Is a Giant FastRoad what I'm looking for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi.
I'm on the hunt for new bike (coming from an old hybrid). I did post a question on here the other day but now I've another question.

Bear in mind I'm 6' 4" and 17 stone when I ask this.
I am considering a hybrid as I feel it shall provide me with the stability I require (support for my frame) but also be light/fast enough to do 20 miles on it.

Taking it a step further, I'm wondering if I should consider a road bike so to do the extra mileage. The problem with this is a) can a typical road bike support my weight b) I just wouldn't use the drop bars and hoods don't give me much more confidence.

I'm very much considering the Giant FastRoad. The handle-bars look like a winner with the 'normal' brakes and grip-ends to stretch out a little.
Would a Giant FastRoad be suitable for my frame (they have narrowish tyres so I wonder not)?

Would a Cyclo-cross (CX/Gravel) be what I'm looking for?

Can anyone suggest a bike with the same design as a Giant FastRoad but with wider tyres to better support my frame?
I'm not fussed about saving bike weight as I won't be racing.

Thanks in advance.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hi.
I'm on the hunt for new bike (coming from an old hybrid). I did post a question on here the other day but now I've another question.

Bear in mind I'm 6' 4" and 17 stone when I ask this.
I am considering a hybrid as I feel it shall provide me with the stability I require (support for my frame) but also be light/fast enough to do 20 miles on it.

Taking it a step further, I'm wondering if I should consider a road bike so to do the extra mileage. The problem with this is a) can a typical road bike support my weight b) I just wouldn't use the drop bars and hoods don't give me much more confidence.

I'm very much considering the Giant FastRoad. The handle-bars look like a winner with the 'normal' brakes and grip-ends to stretch out a little.
Would a Giant FastRoad be suitable for my frame (they have narrowish tyres so I wonder not)?

Would a Cyclo-cross (CX/Gravel) be what I'm looking for?

Can anyone suggest a bike with the same design as a Giant FastRoad but with wider tyres to better support my frame?
I'm not fussed about saving bike weight as I won't be racing.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a Giant Tough Road.. So the tyres are wider than the fast road I think.

Generally a hybrid rider myself as Im sometimes slightly off road, in the places I go.

Very happy with it for an all day ride, and touring.

I'm not quite as amply built as yourself
But it can cope with me plus 14 kg of luggage and still feels pretty nimble.

It definitely goes fast enough.

Especially if you pedal hard, and or are going down hill. :bicycle:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Why not a steel tourer? (Caveat; I have one so I'm bound to be biased).... but: 32-35mm tyres, strong wheels, strong frame designed for weight, decent off road (I spend about 50 percent of my rides off road on gravel trails, stony farm tracks etc). Good on road performance too, it rides like a road bike on tarmac.
You can buy tourers with flat bars if that's what you prefer. :okay:

Edit: the Giant Toughroad mentioned by Mudsticks is considered by some to be a tourer... leaning towards the sturdier tourer, but of course the lines are all somewhat blurred these days between "gravel", "tourer" "MTB" etc, but yes, it likely fits your bill too!

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why not a steel tourer? (Caveat; I have one so I'm bound to be biased).... but: 32-35mm tyres, strong wheels, strong frame designed for weight, decent off road (I spend about 50 percent of my rides off road on gravel trails, stony farm tracks etc). Good on road performance too, it rides like a road bike on tarmac.
You can buy tourers with flat bars if that's what you prefer. :okay:

Edit: the Giant Toughroad mentioned by Mudsticks is considered by some to be a tourer... of course the lines are somewhat blurred these days between "gravel", "tourer" etc, but yes, that likely fits your bill too!

Yup I consider it a tourer, I take it touring for sure, and it's also good on 'gravel'

Never been brave enough to ask for precise definition of what actually comprises a tourer though, beyond pannier attachments .

Tough road has got an Alu frame though..

So not nearly as 'real' as steel.

Reactions: dac

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yup I consider it a tourer, I take it touring for sure, and it's also good on 'gravel'

Never been brave enough to ask for precise definition of what actually comprises a tourer though, beyond pannier attachments .

Tough road has got an Alu frame though..

So not nearly as 'real' as steel.

Oh I'm not one of those claiming steel is "real", I'm not Skippy. Alu is perfectly strong and perfectly real of course, and that bit lighter. I was merely suggesting that when a rider is north of 17 stone, and weight of the frame isn't important, then steel ain't a bad choice.

Labelling a bike as one thing or another is a thorny issue these days, it's why I said "some" will consider a Toughroad a tourer. I would, especially if someone has fitted it with panniers and lugged kit over a few counties. My only doubt about applying that label is that the old fashioned touring purist might not agree. But that's another discussion.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Tough Road carries luggage well..
Even in foreign lands!!

Top Bottom