Is a lunchtime Sunday drink still a thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never had Yorkshire pud with a chocolate bar Fossy... but that's not to say I won't.
Give it a go. You never know, you might like it. They batter marsbars.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We lived in York '76-80 and religiously visited The Minster every Sunday lunchtime. We felt very committed to:

The Minster Inn, Marygate..........a very fine public house which looks the same today as it did 40+ years ago. Back then there wasn't a roof on the Gentlemen's facilities!!!!!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went out a while ago to buy some supplies and thought i'd have a look down to my local and maybe have a half just to show my face. There wasn't a single customer in the place,so i left before the bar staff spotted me!!:sad:

Then on my way home i drove past a pub that does karaoke on Sunday afternoons. I wound down my window and heard the distinct sound of someone murdering Jimmy Ruffin's 'What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted'.:rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
4 quid a pint down my local for premium lager!:ohmy:. I'm normally a 'real ale' chap,but to save costs they've gone from 8 cask beers to 2 on offer and then the 2 they'll have can sometimes taste like a home brew experiment gone wrong🧐 Besides, i find Sundays now to be quite depressing,especially if the sun isn't shining, like today. When working it was one of my days off to be used constructively, but now i'm a layabout it's just another day, but worse as most of the shops aren't open.:smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sunday lunchtime in The Prince of Wales, Holland Park, was a major part of my reckless youth. It didn't do food, and anyway, none of the louche clientele were remotely interested in food. We would emerge into the daylight, hours later, feeling distinctly seedy.

It closed down about ten years ago and is now ,in all probability, the very expensive home of some City type. A real tragedy. Boozers don't come much better.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Same with Leonard Cohen.
I wouldn't say he was a bad singer,more a kind of talking singer, as in he seemed to talk through his songs quite a lot....in my opinion. Anyway, you've now got me listening to his greatest hits album to see how he performs.

and after the first track he seems to be talking.🤔 I think he'd would've made a decent karaoke song murderer!:okay:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn't say he was a bad singer,more a kind of talking singer, as in he seemed to talk through his songs quite a lot....in my opinion. Anyway, you've now got me listening to his greatest hits album to see how he performs.

and after the first track he seems to be talking.🤔 I think he'd would've made a decent karaoke song murderer!:okay:

Despite my comment I think he's just brilliant, and as a poet far surpasses Dylan.
That first track 'Everybody knows' is one of his greatest. 'Dance me to the end of Love' is another fab song and very moving. He really can't sing. Just another to add to the list of great Jewish singer songwriters, another great is of course Paul Simon.
Cohen's Hallelujah is the most recorded song of all time.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Today I was just thinking back and remember going almost every Sunday years back when I was in the UK to The Orange Tree in Totteridge Lane, North London for one.
Often Micky Most (remember him) used to turn up on his Harley and sometimes I would go on my humble Suzuki or Norton.
Any of you get the bike out for a trip to the pub or bar?

Yes but without the endemic drink driving of the last century. I will usually go for the Sunday roast with a pint. Anything more to drink and it has to be on the bikes.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For some reason the thread title conjures up images of Terry Scott, or Geoffrey Fourmile, popping into the saloon bar with the paper whilst the wife is at home preparing the meal.
Ah, the happy days of the 70's when beer was served in barrel glasses at 40p a pint.:smile:

I remember buying a pint of Strongbow and pie and peas in the Vulcan Peel pub during my Blackburn Technical College lunch break, for 55 pence in 1977!:smile:

Mind you i was only on 25 quid a week as an apprentice painter and decorator.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom