Is a Prince of Wales check suit too informal for a funeral?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Went to one funeral after a muddy bike ride and got changed into black jeans and raincoat behind a tree!

Was the deceased a cycling flasher?

Psamathe

I think it depends on a large number of factors e.g. whose funeral and your relationship to them, how you regard funerals, attitudes of others attending.

I unfortunately had to go to my Mum's funeral late last year and I was the only person wearing jeans and a rugby shirt. Only one other person (one of her brothers) was not wearing a dark suit/formal subdued and he was in smart dark cords & jacket.

Different people have different attitudes to funerals. For me it was a ritual that would never be any help to me but for others it was an important opportunity. I did not wear jeans & rugby shirt as any sort of statement, just having retired 20 years ago I don't have a suit and I was not going to buy a suit specially for the event. My attire did not offend anybody and only comment was from her brother wearing cords & jacket who noted we were the only two not in suit/formal wear.

But funerals and attendees are all different so I'd find it impossible to make recommendations.

Ian

stephec

Legendary Member
I think everyone should turn up in exactly the garb that the deceased would associate with them.

A few years ago I was on the core volunteer team at our local parkrun when one of our longest serving members, who'd given a lot of time to parkrun, died.

As I knew her family well I asked about wearing our parkrun milestone t-shirts at the funeral and they seemed to be really pleased at being asked.

On the day there was a lot of different colours there to say goodbye.

Jameshow

Veteran
Was the deceased a cycling flasher?

No I was riding with clients on the morning pealed off and changed into cleaner clothes.

I went to a uncles funeral last year and forgot to find my dress shoes and the misses had gone to bed hours earlier, so I drove 4 hours to Glasgow in trainers and then bobbed into the nearest matterlan for some shoes and tie!!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The last funeral I went to I was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt with a cycling top underneath and a builders hard hat on my head. All reflecting deeply personal times I shared with the deceased, I certainly was not dressed the most outlandishly. I think the answer of what to wear depends on a combination of respect for the deceased and the wishes of their family.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
In assembly once, one of the teachers was saying how he had been to a funeral and was bothered to see a young man there wearing a Teddy Boy suit. He said something to one of the other chaps there, and he said that the young man did not have a lot of money and was probably wearing his best suit.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What was the said persons wishes / personality?

That would guide me!

Went to one funeral after a muddy bike ride and got changed into black jeans and raincoat behind a tree!

But you turned up.
I feel a little bad that wife and I once went to a christening wearing jeans, t-shirts & sunglasses, and sporting extremely bad hangovers. Think we were late too.

You might guess, I'm not christened.
Strangely I am a godparent.

Top Bottom