Is accurate use of a hanger alignment tool dependent on a true wheel.

Yes.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Nope, if concerned about wheels trueness or dish just use same point on the wheel for your measurements.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just take the rear wheel off of my other bike, remove the cassette and screw it into the hanger. Measure the parallelism between the wheels and adjust as needed.

Cannot quite get my head around that.
I've never tried it but apparently the female thread on the hanger that takes the rear mech fixing screw is the same as the male thread on a spare wheel. Just remove the rear mech from the hanger to be tested, screw in the spare wheel….and Bob's your uncle....

Post was edited.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just take the rear wheel off of my other bike, remove the cassette and screw it into the hanger. Measure the parallelism between the wheels and adjust as needed.

Cannot quite get my head around that.
YouTube is your friend.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnwreRrorIA[/media]

Brandane

Legendary Member
You can also use your hanger alignment tool as a guide for truing your wheel.

Used mine for the first time in a long time yesterday after my Croix de Fer loaded with heavy saddlebag for a weekend's touring went over during an embarassing clipless moment. Derailleur mounting point took the weight of the bike and knocked the gears out of alignment. I managed to get some semblance of smoothness back by bending with an allen key stuck into the mounting bolt, but for the last day of my tour the gear changing was not great.

Once back home, 15 minutes spent with the alignment tool and she is sweet as a nut once more. A very handy tool to have in the box.

Top Bottom