Is Anybody Into Fairly Decent Hifi, Just Wanted Some Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've always been into hifi, spent too much money on nothing that amazing. I honestly think that the key area I never focused on was speakers until now. A change of where I live, I'm currently living in a detached house, with no neighbours, and actually getting a bargain off Ebay for the fist time this decade, has changed my perspective.

I have an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp, that I bought new in 1999 for £500. I added the 9 power amp about a year ago. I have a cheap Cambridge Audio Azur CD player, and also a Cambridge Audio Dac, that is connected to my HTPC, with all my CD's converted to FLAC files. I really struggle to hear any difference with digital sources. I tried my brothers pretty old Marantz CD 6000 KI signature that cost £400, way back then, and was considered awesome, to me it sounded hardly any different to my Cambridge Audio. The Cambridge Audio DAC has a better chip than the CD player, but again I can't tell the difference, so I am dubious about spending money on a quality digital source unless I heard it first.

I have always had fairly low budget floor standing speakers, some B&W's I can't remember the name of, Kef Q35, Kef Q500. These have been pretty good, but when I moved to a detached house with a bigger lounge, I have found them lacking somewhat. I thought it was because they had 5.25" drivers, and was convinced that bigger was the way to go.

I saw some Kef Reference R500 speakers on Ebay, local to me, because of the remote location where I live there was little interest. The starting bid was a bargain, these speakers cost £1500 when new, now they've been replaced with a newer model, they can be had for £1000. Nobody bid on them except for me, I got them for £475.

I was skeptical at first, but after using them for a while these speakers are awesome. They are a complete bargain, even for £1000. The bass handling for having 5.25" drivers is astonishing. The highs and mids are unbelievable. I really see what I've been missing, and I can honestly say that they blow my Kef Q500's out of the water in every single department. I quite like house/trance music, Global Underground DJ CD's, Sasha, Sander Kleinenberg etc. These always were pretty limited with my old speakers, as it would crap out with the bass. These speakers are made for it, the bass handling and the detail at high volume is just completely awesome. The build quality, which is very high, is probably the key.

It also makes me realise that the Arcam amps have amazing sound that I've been missing out on. The problem is that these amps are powerful, 70 watts RMS into 8 ohms. But I find the amp that is driving the bass cutting out at a volume when I know that these speakers can take a bit more, they are not near distortion. If I could sustain the volume that they cut out at, I'd be a happy man.

The house is rented until I can find something to buy that suits. I feel that I may not get this opportunity again, so I'm looking for a more powerful, more than likely used amplifier(s). Just wondered if anybody has any ideas? I'm thinking of the Arcam Alpha 10 & 10 power amp if needed, these are 100 watts, Rocksan Kandy K2 integrated, I think this is 120 watts, Cambridge Audio Azur 840a, 120 watts. These would cost around £400 - £600 (for the Arcam's). Has anybody else got any recommendations please?

The speakers are pretty transparent, more or less monitor-like. I'm not sure that I fancy a neutral/sterile amp like an Audiolab. I prefer the slightly warmer Arcam sound, as it is highly detailed without being too grating..

I might buy new, but I think I'm looking at about £1300 for that. I wouldn't of got white if I'd bought new, but they look a lot better than I thought they would..

IMG_1857.JPG

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry, what was the question?

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Nick has some lovely pre owned stuff and is friendly to boot have a look at http://www.emporiumhifi.com/amplifiers/

Cheers I'll take a look. Extra power isn't cheap I understand that.

Does anybody think that better digital sources make a difference? There has got to be something in it somewhere, I know DVD players used to sound pants for playing CD's, unless you paid a fortune for one. It seems like a slippery slope this hifi stuff..

I just struggle to tell, maybe I'm not listening to good enough gear..

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Cheers I'll take a look. Extra power isn't cheap I understand that.

Does anybody think that better digital sources make a difference? There has got to be something in it somewhere, I know DVD players used to sound pants for playing CD's, unless you paid a fortune for one. It seems like a slippery slope this hifi stuff..

I just struggle to tell, maybe I'm not listening to good enough gear..

Digital stuff varies just as much as analogue so you pays you money etc. I've moved from CD's to high def audio downloads on a PC through Musical Fidelity Dac and A/B ing 16/44 cd's to 24/96 Flacs show's a definite upgrade. But for pure pleasure nice vinyl played on my old Rega still makes me smile more.

It's too easy to fall into the trap of listening to the equipment so remember to enjoy the music !

Someone will be along telling us that MP3's sound exactly as good but they are just plain wrong.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've still got the QUAD Pre-Power I bought 2nd hand in 1986 although I added a 2nd Power-amp about 18yrs ago and bought a later Pre-amp about 4yrs ago (the old Pre acts as a phono stage for the front room 5:1 set up as that doesn't have a turntable input)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Amps and speakers need matching, I have a Naim amp, tried four different sets of speekers before settling with some B&Ws. Buying new is the way to go, as i initially tried some accoustic solutions, sounded great in the sound room in the shop, but not so good when i got them home, the shop let me try 4 sets of speakers at home before paying for them, I settled for the B&Ws

For me there's no substitute to getting some good test material together (female vocals are especially good) and hearing a setup. I know there's not much chance of that when buying used.
I've not been an Arcam fan since I bought one of there CD players (CD72 I think it was) and the power supply whistled like tinnitus constantly. They admitted their PSU whistled but thought it was perfectly acceptable. I begged to differ and spent the money on a Rotel.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
For me there's no substitute to getting some good test material together (female vocals are especially good) and hearing a setup. I know there's not much chance of that when buying used.
I've not been an Arcam fan since I bought one of there CD players (CD72 I think it was) and the power supply whistled like tinnitus constantly. They admitted their PSU whistled but thought it was perfectly acceptable. I begged to differ and spent the money on a Rotel.
I had a Rotel amp about 40 years ago, one of the best amps i have ever owned.

Amps and speakers need matching, I have a Naim amp, tried four different sets of speekers before settling with some B&Ws. Buying new is the way to go, as i initially tried some accoustic solutions, sounded great in the sound room in the shop, but not so good when i got them home, the shop let me try 4 sets of speakers at home before paying for them, I settled for the B&Ws

Another B&W fan here. Also tested in the shop (Sevenoaks in Sheffield - don't know if still there). Had them a while but the range on the 602s3 is brilliant.

Top Bottom