Is asymmetric dishing essential?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A few months ago I replaced the rear hub on my tourer using new spokes. 2000 miles later the wheel is still true.

It was recently pointed out to me that I have given it similar dishing on each side. The tyre clears the chainstays and I have been able to adjust the brakes and mudguards to suit, but the rim is clearly off the centre line of the frame.

The person pointing out my "mistake" couldn't tell me why he thought it an issue. What do you think?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Given that Mike Burrows has designed bikes (& trikes) with deliberately out-of-line wheel tracks, there's no fundamental reason why it should matter. I assume the wheel is parallel with the frame. If it handles okay, then... fine.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@Wobbly John of this parish has built a bike with a hinged frame.
It's perfectly rideable with the wheels about a foot offset to each other!
wobble.jpg

Some frames have been built to with offsetn rear triangles to enable almost symmetrical wheels to be built. If memory serves, the Pace RC100 mtb and Orbit Gold Medal tourer + some custom frames by Tony Oliver.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Generally the hub used for the wheel dictates the dishing. A hub that uses a cassette needs dishing which in turn helps with the chain line.
Single speed / track hubs wheels don't need asymmetric dishing.

The tolerance for some bikes I've seen is so tight that unless the wheel is dead centred in the frame, you get tyre rubbing on the frame.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Not just asymetrical, one of my rear wheels has tangential spoking on the cassette side and radial spoking on the other. Presume to make it a bit stiffer.

Sharky

Guru
Campag do that.
Mine is a mavic elite

midlife

Guru
Not just asymetrical, one of my rear wheels has tangential spoking on the cassette side and radial spoking on the other. Presume to make it a bit stiffer.

Trendy in the 70's TT scene. Radial spokes in the front and a rear like yours :smile:

Wobbly John

Veteran
Campag do that.

My Fulcrum rear wheel has 8 spokes one side, and 16 on the other!

If you want to use one length of spoke, yet want the rim to run central to the hub, then you need an assymetric OCR (Off Centre Rim) rim - I have a Ritchey OCR on the back of one of my MTBs.

Top Bottom