Is Berlin the safest city to be a cyclist? [BBC pushing helmets again]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20068083
An interesting article, unfortunately topped and tailed with the BBC's apparent doctrine on the use of helmets. Interested to know if the "controversy" mentioned in the first paragraph is among Berliners generally, or just the staff at the BBC's Berlin bureau.

Danny
I heard much of that piece on Radio 4 last week. Interestingly though, I don't recall the radio version obsessing on Helmut's helmet - I remember it starting with ''lots of bikes in Berlin'' followed abruptly by ''which trailer.'' This may be because I got annoyed by the correspondent's general air of obnoxiousness and the ease with which he typecast cyclists. What can we say about New York cycling? Shall we mention the efforts to get more people on bikes in the city and rapidly developing a network of cycle lanes? No, let's just call them urban warriors. London? Oh, a bit the same but let's stick in some ''eco-zealots'' for depth. Right, that's 2 major cities done....

The piece, then, has nothing to do with cycling and all to do with journalism. The man has to produce copy out of the Berlin office. Edit bits for the radio, leave them in the written version to get up to article length, and claim there's a controversy in the opening sentences.

I suspect the same - ala "Scoop" - pop in the helmet bit to spice it up in line with BBC guidelines - although in some ways quite subversively - obvious which side of the fence he is on - still a pretty awful article - lazy journalism - maybe the radio programme is better.

As an aside - Ive cycled in Berlin - helmets are not entirely absent among the population of cyclists - probably as a guess 10% - not dissimilar to where I live

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I suspect the same - ala "Scoop" - pop in the helmet bit to spice it up in line with BBC guidelines - although in some ways quite subversively - obvious which side of the fence he is on - still a pretty awful article - lazy journalism - maybe the radio programme is better.

Found this post and link to the recording if you want to listen to it. I doubt you'll be impressed.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

Whilst any promotion of cycling is a good thing IMO, I find this person's almost constant reference to helmets slightly disturbing.

So much for balanced journalism?

Why didn't he look from the view point that cycling is mostly safe with a few activities that might warrant helmet use due to the increased possibility of falling (MTB, BMX, Road Racing). He clearly identifies that large scale cycling uptake is by well dressed old ladies, old men on bikes that hardly pedal and young mums with kids in trailers (been there got the medal, T shirt and wall certificate).

Why is our media so obsessed with pushing the pudding bowl, when our European cousins ride mainly 'oben ohne'?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Thanks for the radio link.

I must say, the bloke is a t**t

Ciao

CP

snorri

Legendary Member
I suppose the lack of helmets comes as a surprise to Brits going abroad for the first time. It seems they go to one foreign city, in this case Berlin, and get the impression that city is "different" regarding cycle helmets. In fact mainland Europe is as one on helmets, it is the UK that stands out as "different" .
I think his message is generally good in pointing out to stay at home Brits just how badly we are lagging behind in cycle promotion.

Edit ....Woops, just become aware of other thread.

Danny

Legendary Member

Whilst any promotion of cycling is a good thing IMO, I find this person's almost constant reference to helmets slightly disturbing.

So much for for balanced journalism
Actually the word "helmet" only appeared four times in the article, and the first reference was not until paragraph 19.

Even then the author seemed to just be commenting on the fact that helmets are not widely used in Germany.

So much for balanced posts.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Actually the word "helmet" only appeared four times in the article, and the first reference was not until paragraph 19.

Even then the author seemed to just be commenting on the fact that helmets are not widely used in Germany.

So much for balanced posts.
Actually, the word helmet appears in the first paragraph and a further 7 times in the article.

And the author calls people who don't ride with helmets 'stupid' in the last sentence: "I never jump a red light - that would be stupid. Like not wearing a helmet."

So much for balanced, accurate replies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom