Is bikeability compatible with cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I got chatting to another cyclist at the work bike rack. She had just started here and wanted to know where to get a key for the locked bike racks.

Anyway she happened to mention that she occasionally cycles on the path, because the roads are too dangerous. Mmm. I bit my lip and just mentioned that a lot of accidents happen when coming on and off pavements and so the path might not be a safe as she thinks. Anyway, it was all kept light and we parted happy enough.

However, this go me thinking. A lot of people are now buying bikes through the cycle to work scheme to save on tax. A good idea that encourages people to cycle to work. However, could we not link this with cycle training (which I think is generally a good idea).

How about if, to be allowed to buy a bike on the cycle to work scheme, the cyclist would have to take part in a bikeability type course. This could be funded either by the cyclist, where the cost of the course would be added to the bike but would also be tax free, or could be government funded as further encouragement to use a bike and to use the cycle to work scheme.

This way the amount of trained cyclists on the road would slowly increase over time eventually leading to a critical mass of cyclists who would know at least the basics of good road cyclecraft.

How much do bikeability courses cost? What do you think of the idea?

Of course this wouldn't solve the problems of drivers not understanding cyclists issues, however, with more and more cyclists riding appropriately they might begin to understand and possibly even accommodate us more.

Discuss!:smile:

Trillian

its also possible that by doing this, people who bike to work but drive to take the kids somewhere in the evening (ie are occasional car users) would apreciate bike movements on the road and drive accordingly. thus increasing the number of people who give bikes space etc.

Pedro

We had a cycle to work scheme that started in March and even though we weren't forced to go on cycle training we were given contact details and the prices etc (£5 for 2 hours - subsidised by the city of london). Out of the approx 20 of us on the scheme I was one of the few who went on the scheme (run by CTC training) and I am now the only one who still commutes in. I now know I'm hooked as I've gone and cashed in my train season ticket!!!

Incidently I don't own a car, but I occasionally rent a car for long journeys, which I did for the first time in ages recently and I noticed how much more aware I was of cyclists, so I definetely agree with Trillian's point

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think training availibility varies from area to area, in Bristol there is a charity Lifecycle who charge £25 for an hour (I think), but strangly enough I think the council pays for adults (over 17) to be given 1 hours training by Lifecycle for free.

However it would be good if employers did organise some training at the same time as the Bike to Work scheme.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I think that would be an excellent idea, anything which increase bike awareness has to be a good thing. It is all very well encouraging people to buy bikes, but if they are not confident to use them on a regular basis it ain't really going to change things. Unfortunately the Bikeability award is only available in England at the moment.

Keith Oates

Janner
Pedro said:
We had a cycle to work scheme that started in March and even though we weren't forced to go on cycle training we were given contact details and the prices etc (£5 for 2 hours - subsidised by the city of london). Out of the approx 20 of us on the scheme I was one of the few who went on the scheme (run by CTC training) and I am now the only one who still commutes in. I now know I'm hooked as I've gone and cashed in my train season ticket!!!

Incidently I don't own a car, but I occasionally rent a car for long journeys, which I did for the first time in ages recently and I noticed how much more aware I was of cyclists, so I definetely agree with Trillian's point

That is disappointing news, Pedro, did the others just give up or was it just another way of getting a cheaper bike and they had no intention of doing a regular commute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Who is it that runs these sessions, cos I can think of some cyclists who might put people off riding, what with long-winded diatribes about primary position and getting anal about hand signals.

Maz

Guru
Is Bikeability the new name for what was known as the cycling proficiency scheme? They're having that at our kid's junior school next week I think - I've been asked to help out n stuff.

Pedro

The scheme I did we were lent a bike for one month and expected to commute 50% of the time. After the month only one person bought the bike (they were rubbish so I reverted back to my 12 year old mountain bike) and three months on I'm the only one commuting. From listening to people the biggest reason people gave up was safety, but after the CTUK run training that you could go on I had no problems at all - well apart from the complete lack of fitness, but that is now almost sorted

PrettyboyTim

Maz said:
Is Bikeability the new name for what was known as the cycling proficiency scheme? They're having that at our kid's junior school next week I think - I've been asked to help out n stuff.

Bikeability, as far as I understand it, is considerably more in-depth than the Cycling Proficiency schemes of our youth. It's pretty much based on the Cyclecraft book and has several levels of training.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm trying to get things like this included in our company travel plan - that way everyone gets it for free. Unfortunately my company (large engineering consultancy) doesn't like to practise what it preaches.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
well what about that tunnel you cycle through is that not a path?

Bonj, Bonj, Bonj. You really are being silly now. Tsk Tsk.. The lady meant pavements that are not designed or designated for cycle use. The Clyde Tunnel Cycle Path (the clue is in the word cycle) is designated for cycle use.:biggrin:

Top Bottom