Is bikeability compatible with cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Positive so far. Mmm. I wonder if the CTC would be interested in taking up an idea like this.....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
PrettyboyTim said:
Bikeability, as far as I understand it, is considerably more in-depth than the Cycling Proficiency schemes of our youth. It's pretty much based on the Cyclecraft book and has several levels of training.

Especially when you consider that I did my Cycling Profiency entirely on the school playground, and now the equivalent Level 2 Bikeability is road based.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There is a cycle to work scheme running where I work and I have noticed a number of shiny new bikes appearing in the bike shed. I just wonder if they will be there when the weather turns nasty...

Maz

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
There is a cycle to work scheme running where I work and I have noticed a number of shiny new bikes appearing in the bike shed. I just wonder if they will be there when the weather turns nasty...
You know the combination numbers for their locks, right? Say no more!

We launched our company bike4work scheme today to coincide with other activities going on around World Environment Day. A LBS and a cycling training company kindly came in and set up in the staff restaurant to try and promote the scheme.

The day went well with a reasonable level of interest but the biggest issue by far was that people are scared of traffic and cars.

We're going to see what overall take up is and maybe subsidise training costs.

Oh and I counted 53 other cyclists on my Oldham > Old Trafford trip this morning, a new record!! At least half were on the roads too!

bonj2

magnatom said:
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Positive so far. Mmm. I wonder if the CTC would be interested in taking up an idea like this.....

oh right, it's just you'd put "Anyway she happened to mention that she occasionally cycles on the path" so i thought you were condemning her for that, rather than for cycling on the illegal FOOTpath.
Path's a path though in my book. If you condemn anyone for cycling on footpaths, you'll have to shoot me for a start! :ohmy::smile: Footpath laws are all too often made by non-cyclists. (Although I suppose you have to stay strictly within the law being as you are a celebrity, so I can't blame you for making the distinction.)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
cheadle hulme said:
We launched our company bike4work scheme today to coincide with other activities going on around World Environment Day. A LBS and a cycling training company kindly came in and set up in the staff restaurant to try and promote the scheme.

We're going to see what overall take up is and maybe subsidise training costs.

Oh and I counted 53 other cyclists on my Oldham > Old Trafford trip this morning, a new record!! At least half were on the roads too!

One of the schools near me held an environment day where they tried to use no electricity ... and I met the lady (at some traffic lights) who had brought a cycle powered smoothie maker to the school as part of that day.

The day went well with a reasonable level of interest but the biggest issue by far was that people are scared of traffic and cars.

Maybe aswell as training (or as part of it), they could have a bit of help route planning to avoid their percieved worst bits of the journey. Confidence in dealing with traffic is something that grows over time.

doyler78

Hairy Jock said:

Who cares. I started cycling 4 years ago. Last winter was the first winter I even considered cycling once it got too dark to cycle home in the evenings without lights because I felt it was too dangerous. Needless to say I now commute all year round however I don't commute every day. I usually do 3 days and maybe the odd 4 day. I do what suits me and I make no apologies for that.

What's more important is that people get out on their bikes and if they do they will hopefully gain a love for them and start using them more. Some will try and fail but then isn't that the case with anything. I think at times other cyclists try and pressure others into doing more than they want and this is as much a put off than anything they encounter on the roads.

I think the idea of providing new cyclists with cycle training, and i dare say there are a lot of old hands that could with a bit of (re)training, is a good idea however whereas England is getting alot of money for these schemes in Northern Ireland the reality is that nothing is being done in this line. All private providers which obviously makes it costly for people to use and as such it is unlikely that we will get anywhere. CTC seem to be doing a lot of work across the water but like much of what they do they totally ignore Northern Ireland.

andyfromotley

Never mind all this boring old stuff tom............. is she a hottie? If so, youtube her please!

Thanks in advance

andy

Pedro said:
The scheme I did we were lent a bike for one month and expected to commute 50% of the time. After the month only one person bought the bike (they were rubbish so I reverted back to my 12 year old mountain bike) and three months on I'm the only one commuting. From listening to people the biggest reason people gave up was safety, but after the CTUK run training that you could go on I had no problems at all - well apart from the complete lack of fitness, but that is now almost sorted

That sounds suspiciously like our Cycle 50% Challenge Pedro, what was wrong with the bikes?

Top Bottom