Is building a bike cheaper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintergreen

But you are not building the bike that could be bought off the shelf . You haven't saved anything on the price of a new Utra Galaxy because you haven't built an Ultra Galaxy. So by your logic you could have bought a Pinarello Dogma for £9,000 but instead bought a second hand Triban 3 and put some better wheels on it and changed the chainset and have a comparable bike?

Kins

Über Member
But you are not building the bike that could be bought off the shelf . You haven't saved anything on the price of a new Utra Galaxy because you haven't built an Ultra Galaxy. So by your logic you could have bought a Pinarello Dogma for £9,000 but instead bought a second hand Triban 3 and put some better wheels on it and changed the chainset and have a comparable bike?

You could buy a £699 THIS years model Dawes Ultra Frame and build it to a better spec than you can buy from Dawes for LESS money. So, as per the original title, YES, building a bike can be cheaper than buying one off the shelf. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Ok, forget every other post I have written in the world ever. Read my last post. Read it again. Look at the thread title. Done. Thanks.

wintergreen

You built a Horizon to your own spec, spending more than the price of a new Horizon, So in your case it wasn't cheaper to build your own. You got what you wanted and are happy with it but it isn't an Ultra Galaxy and cant be compared to one because they are different beasts.

KneesUp

Guru
I am using the Ultra Galaxy comparison because that is the one Kins used.
You were using a comparison with an Ultra Galaxy ("they are different") to claim you couldn't compare them. And I was making a silly point in the hope that you'd realise that the Dawes-bickering is getting silly. I note that it didn't work.

wintergreen

Yes it was silly and I shouldn't have carried on trying to make my point.
I apologize to Kins and the board for banging on about it.
The written word on internet forums isn't the easiest way to communicate sometimes and I should know better.

Top Bottom