Is building a bike cheaper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L14M

Über Member
sorry to put i slight twist on the answer already received!

but if talking modern then yes i would agree with current view/answer of stock/off the peg bike being cheaper but if you build a vintage/old bike then maybe not
of course you can not buy a 'brand new' vintage/old bike as then it would be neither of those! but say building a vintage bike compared to buying an off the peg modern bike may be cheaper or even building a vintage bike compared to buying a second hand pre assembled ready to roll vintage bike

for example frames can be dirt cheap:
frame+forks=£70
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-R...ces_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item27e473498e

Wheel set=£40
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-R500-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item48671e4552

crankset=£40
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-Gamma...cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item258f00c3b8

derailleurs+shifters+bars+brakes etc=£100 ish

Total cost=£250
the cheapest carrera (zelos) would cost a tenner more than this but something rather nice like a giant defy or so costs £500 but if you can find a bargain second hand of either modern or vintage than why not?
sorry if i am under estimating prices a bit?
Cheers Ed
The bottom bits you are and the wheelset is only the front wheel (cheers needed one :P ).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
sorry to put i slight twist on the answer already received!

but if talking modern then yes i would agree with current view/answer of stock/off the peg bike being cheaper but if you build a vintage/old bike then maybe not
of course you can not buy a 'brand new' vintage/old bike as then it would be neither of those! but say building a vintage bike compared to buying an off the peg modern bike may be cheaper or even building a vintage bike compared to buying a second hand pre assembled ready to roll vintage bike

for example frames can be dirt cheap:
frame+forks=£70
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-R...ces_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item27e473498e

Wheel set=£40
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-R500-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item48671e4552

crankset=£40
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-Gamma...cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item258f00c3b8

derailleurs+shifters+bars+brakes etc=£100 ish

Total cost=£250
the cheapest carrera (zelos) would cost a tenner more than this but something rather nice like a giant defy or so costs £500 but if you can find a bargain second hand of either modern or vintage than why not?
sorry if i am under estimating prices a bit?
Cheers Ed
You were of course aware that it's a mountain bike crankset you've linked to?;)

doog

Depends what you are building. If you want an 'old dog' as such,using a second hand frame, that could probably do exactly what a new bike could (within reason) then of course its cheaper as long as you have the tools / bike stand etc

However this might only apply in the obscure end of the market (touring bikes etc)...I think anyone would struggle to compete with something Planet X or Rose could knock out in the road bike stakes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not always cheaper than buying stock, but if you look about on line, then you can come close with the exact spec you wanted.
This :smile: My Genesis would have been cheaper stock but I have better components and a spec/colour scheme I love :smile: (helped having a friend build it for me)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Most certainly not because the bike producer is willing to compromise more than you are usually
Totally agree. A common place to cut costs is rubbish tyres that you'll have to replace almost straightaway.

ayceejay

Guru
This is one of those 'it all depends' type questions.
I once, not long ago. bought an off the shelf bike for more or less what the group set would cost, the wheels were exceptionally good and the frame was better than I expected I moved everything except the saddle seat post and stem over to a carbon frame and I now have a $3500 bike for $1800 and a steep learning curve. And when I sell the other frame I am quids in, as they say.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I source bargain bits and scour the interwebz for " upgrade orphan" bits. Using a nearly new frame and various bargains I built a £5 k bike for about £2.5 k. Most expensive parts after the frame at £1000 instead of £2500, were the fork, wheelset and seatpost, but they were new, custom built and half RRP respectively. Te drivetrain was preloved and the brakes about half RRP. Bars, saddle and pedals all bought online in special offers and CRC voucher style bargains.

The joy of a self build is the completely unique build to your own well researched spec. One way to achieve this is to get the frame you want, and scour the online dealers for a bike specc'd the way you want it, and buy it as a donor for your new build. Yu can sell off the bits you don't need, and you can make some serious savings for example by buying last years model in bizarre sizes that haven't sold. CRC for example had a very well specc'd XL women specific scandium MTB which they were flogging off for peanuts. They were snapped up by folk wanting to build custom bikes.

If you want something exotic, it makes sense. If you just want a basic bike you won't save much, if anything at all. What you will get is your own sense of achievement and invaluable experience which will mean you never have to pay for a bike service again.

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
Some good posts guys, I like the idea of buying a cheap oversize donor bike and adding all of the best bits to an appropriately sized frame.

Albert

Über Member
My way was to buy good frames with mid-range components, then I assessed what would make the bike better as I rode. By the time I got my bikes 'just right' I had changed at least 50% of the components + new wheels all round. Lots of fun, as had already been said, and there are some real bargain bits to be had if you look around.

Davidc

Guru
One thing that is cheaper than buying new, if you have a frame failure, is taking all the bits off the old frame and putting them on a similar new/ second hand frame. Did that after I had a frame crack, and made up a bike for next to nothing for a friend of my son's to use while at university.

stuee147

having built a couple of bikes now i would say it can be cheaper but it all depends on what your after and if you have the time and space to do it.
but i will say that one thing with building your own bike is the sense of accomplishment and pride that you will only ever get with a bike you have built is well worth the time blood sweat and tears that it takes.
also if you have built a bike you would be able to fix it you would know every inch of it and you wont worry as much if something happens it really gives you confidence to fix and maintain your bike

stuee

Top Bottom