Is cadence data useful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Lot of interesting stuff here,and Im not going to cotradict my usual adversaries here,but cadence is personal preference. It obviously affects aspects in your riding tech nique and performance, something else that may influence your pedalling speed could be stature, Im 5,7" and a shade under 10 stone bet you can t guess at what end I ride at. And Bill your forte isn t exactly climbing by your own admission. If you want to climb consistently well the first thing you ve got to do is lose those Kilos.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Lot of interesting stuff here,and Im not going to cotradict my usual adversaries here,but cadence is personal preference. It obviously affects aspects in your riding tech nique and performance, something else that may influence your pedalling speed could be stature, Im 5,7" and a shade under 10 stone bet you can t guess at what end I ride at. And Bill your forte isn t exactly climbing by your own admission. If you want to climb consistently well the first thing you ve got to do is lose those Kilos.

What's the second thing?

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:

Where on earth did you get the idea that climbing isn't my forte and what is more by my own admission? I am an excellent climber by any standards and phenomenal considering my medical hsitory.

montage

God Almighty
jimboalee said:
I've had another think about my low climbing cadence.

It is probably the result of afternoon after afternoon carrying a bag of newspapers up the stairs in a block of flats. Approx 120 steps per minute.

When I went out on my bike ( about 35 years ago and the same years as being a newspaper boy ) my hill climbing cadence naturally mimicked the steps per minute of my stair climbing.

I haven't shaken this tendency in 35 years.

I find it easier to jog quickly up the stairs, so maybe there is something in that.

I believe in cadence training, especially if looking to do races. Always nice to mix up the cadences on a long ride. Naturally, when "going for it" I sit at 100-110rpm, but occassionally drop down to 70-80 just to wake the legs up a little.

lukesdad

Bill Gates said:
Where on earth did you get the idea that climbing isn't my forte and what is more by my own admission? I am an excellent climber by any standards and phenomenal considering my medical hsitory.

Re; your post "Really steep hills - Whats the point." If you want to be a good climber thats what you have to do. No amount of simulated interval training or what ever else you want to call it will do it for you. End of story.

Obviously your definition of good climber and mine are somewhat different.

for example; A recent club hillclimb (bit of a national sport down here) !.9 miles 487ft climbing on a bad surface "8 s" would be reasonable "7 s" would be good Try 6.07 thats climbing!

jimboalee

montage said:
I find it easier to jog quickly up the stairs, so maybe there is something in that.

I believe in cadence training, especially if looking to do races. Always nice to mix up the cadences on a long ride. Naturally, when "going for it" I sit at 100-110rpm, but occassionally drop down to 70-80 just to wake the legs up a little.

That is a condradiction of terms.

Maybe it was a sudden exertion of a large effort seeming 'easier' than a long exertion of a lower effort. ;)

One thing is for sure, the shorter time involved in raising the same mass means MORE effort ( W = J/s ).

lukesdad

jimboalee said:
That is a condradiction of terms.

Maybe it was a sudden exertion of a large effort seeming 'easier' than a long exertion of a lower effort. ;)

One thing is for sure, the shorter time involved in raising the same mass means MORE effort ( W = J/s ).

To simple there are to many variables.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Re; your post "Really steep hills - Whats the point." If you want to be a good climber thats what you have to do. No amount of simulated interval training or what ever else you want to call it will do it for you. End of story.

for example; A recent club hillclimb (bit of a national sport down here) !.9 miles 487ft climbing on a bad surface "8 s" would be reasonable "7 s" would be good Try 6.07 thats climbing!

So where's this admission that I'm not much of a climber? ........and I don't recall entering into a debate with you about what consitutes a good climber. What the hell are you arguing with me about?

Calm down.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bill Gates said:
So where's this admission that I'm not much of a climber? ........and I don't recall entering into a debate with you about what consitutes a good climber. What the hell are you arguing with me about?

Calm down.

I think Lukesdad climbs like a little girl and Bill Gates climbs like her little sister:evil:

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:

I don't know what "simulated" interval training is? It's either interval training or it isn't.

............and interval training will do it for it me and and I suspect many others. You must be different.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hill-Training-Learning-to-Climb-without-Tiring

http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cycling/interval-training-tips/

http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/Cycling/interval_training.htm

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/7-Tips-for-Climbing-to-the-Top.htm

End of story eh?

Top Bottom