Is CC becoming a victim of its own success ? ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I assume this thread has something to do with this?

Don't try to take it too personally if some people don't share your enthusiasm or interest in a particular idea. If it's a good one, it'll float on its own merit.

Equally, if people are not being constructive, just ignore their comments and focus on the reasoned, thoughtful ones.

Maybe, even, take a break from CC for a week or two?

I know I sometimes get a little too wrapped up in it; the modding and problem sorting can sometimes draw you in both on and off the forums (thinking it all through), and you can occasionally forget about all the good stuff that goes on here.

A few days away (usually enforced by family duties) often brings me back refreshed.

Of course, you could always give some other forums a try and see how they compare. They all have their own vibe and there may be one that fits you better than CC does at the moment.

Just my 2p worth ... :laugh:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

peanut

Admin said:
I assume this thread has something to do with this?

Cheers,

no
that thread has nothing to do with it at all actually.

I've already made it perfectly clear that it was tounge-in-cheek and that an existing sub forum would be adequate until interest levels suggested otherwise haven't I !

I thought that my post was clear but perhaps not as clear as I thought :laugh:
I was referring to the past 6 months or so . It seems like membership has quadrupaled in that period, which is fantastic but there is certainly a lot more flaming imo.

I'm not alone in noticing this and there was another thread about this which co-incided with a member (or two?) being suspended I believe

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Threads are like television channels... you don't have to look at them if you know you'll not enjoy what they contain...unless you have a certain masochistic streak and like to suffer!

Shaun

Founder
peanut said:
well that was a subtle hint Shaun thanks :laugh:

if you don't like it shove off:biggrin:

No, not at all.

I linked to the thread that I thought would give everyone a perspective on where your comments were coming from, and then offered the following constructive advice:
  • Ignore the negative comments / people and focus on the positives
  • Take a break so as to come back refreshed / with a different perspective
  • Try other forums to see how they compare
How was that telling you to shove off exactly? :biggrin:

Cheers,

Shaun

Founder
It may also interest you to know that you can selectively remove forums from the New Posts results to filter out some of the noise:

My Account > Settings & Options > Edit Options > Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts" and "Get Daily" (at the bottom)

(Note: Hold the CTRL key whilst clicking to select multiple forums.)

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Admin said:
It may also interest you to know that you can selectively remove forums from the New Posts results to filter out some of the noise:

My Account > Settings & Options > Edit Options > Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts" and "Get Daily" (at the bottom)

(Note: Hold the CTRL key whilst clicking to select multiple forums.)

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

is very handy to know, I may send P&L to there for a while, it wastes too much of my time:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Will1985 said:
I haven't noticed a major problem - I disabled seeing P&L in the new posts a long time ago.

Me too - I don't have thick enough skin to play in that playground:biggrin:. I do peek occasionally but at least I know I'm in P&L so I only observe.

Fab Foodie said:
Can't say I've witnessed much flaming in cycling threads

I agree, I think it is no where near melt down. I still maintain that this forum uses a good balance of modding and letting go with the flow. We need to keep on attracting new members, if it had done in the past where would it be. Younger members can bring an enthusiasm and it is interesting as they develop (sorry to me that sounds like I'm examining you under a microscope - I just meant for example Young Un when he was trying and succeeding at getting work experience in the bike shop).

OP
OP
P

peanut

Admin said:
No, not at all.

I linked to the thread that would give everyone a perspective on where your comments were coming from, and then offered the following constructive advice:
  • Ignore the negative comments / people and focus on the positives
  • Take a break so as to come back refreshed / with a different perspective
  • Try other forums to see how they compare
How was that telling you to shove off exactly? :wacko:

Cheers,

no that thread has nothing to do with it at all actually. You've completely misunderstood my point.

I've already made it perfectly clear that the classic bike poll was tounge-in-cheek and that an existing sub forum would be adequate until interest levels suggested otherwise haven't I !

I thought that my post was clear but perhaps not as clear as I thought :thumbsup:
I was referring to the past 6 months or so . It seems like membership has quadrupaled in that period, which is fantastic but there is certainly a lot more flaming imo.

I'm not alone in noticing this and there was another thread some time back about this which co-incided with a member (or two?) being suspended I believe.

wish folk would actually read what is written. Arch kicked off after completely missing the point and not reading what I'd written.

As for trying other forums I find that a rather patronising remark Shaun, which is not like you. I have little doubt that I have been working with computers considerably longer than you have having started as a systems anaylst in 1975. (man from Uncle main frame computers)
I currently have over 20 forums tabbed on my browser which I visit frequently.

Gromit

Über Member
Cafés in forums have always been for off subject chit chat, there are plenty of other rooms to talk about cycling. Life would be so boring if that's all people did.

Its good to know what people get up to when they are not cycling, people do do other things besides propel themselves around by bike. So that is why we have this particular room.

If you don't like it peanut then your quite welcome to go hang out in other parts of cyclechat. :thumbsup:

jimboalee

I don't consider this to be a 'moaning thread'.

My impression of this thread is that it is a gentle reminder to members to do a bit of 'self appraisal' now and again.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Archie_tect said:
Threads are like television channels... you don't have to look at them if you know you'll not enjoy what they contain...unless you have a certain masochistic streak and like to suffer!

what a ill-concieved comment ? we are not discussing the subject of various thread topics here are we !
We are discussing the tendency for a certain element on CC to disrupt threads of a serious nature with their inappropriate inflamatory drivel .
By your argument we would have to ignore over half of the threads on CC :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

peanut

Gromit said:
Cafés in forums have always been for off subject chit chat, there are plenty of other rooms to talk about cycling. Life would be so boring if that's all people did.

Its good to know what people get up to when they are not cycling, people do do other things besides propel themselves around by bike. So that is why we have this particular room.

If you don't like it peanut then your quite welcome to go hang out in other parts of cyclechat. :thumbsup:

Gromit you are another one who doesn't read the thread properly . No-one has commented in this thread about the nature of threads in the cafe section have they ??????:wacko:

Maybe I need to put this in a way you will understand :biggrin:

THIS IS NOT ABOUT CAFE OR THREAD TOPICS OR CONTENT .OK

its about flaming of threads on non cafe forums which have a more serious nature ie perhaps about requests for technical advice etc

OP
OP
P

peanut

XmisterIS said:
Now then, now then, you lot, you lot!

'ello, 'ello, 'ello, what's goin' on 'ere then?

We'll 'ave no more jokes or idle banter, you lot, you lot!

From now on, henceforth and so forth onwards it's to be nothing but deadly serious poker-faced bicycle-related chat and nothing else, you lot, you lot!

You're nicked, sonny!

you're another one that can't read :thumbsup:

no-one has suggested we need more serious topics on CC have they ?

We are talking about flaming of threads that have a serious topic . Why is that some people cannot seem to grasp what is written . ?Is it that they cannot read?

actually XmisterIS you are exactly the sort of person I am talking about on this thread. You are incapable of reading what is written, understanding the point and posting something which is relevant ,appropriate and adds something constructive to the thread.

This was intended to be a serious discussion about something I believe is important and a serious issue ie flaming. You and others on CC just see it as another opportunity to flame and post your silly drivel.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think you should calm down a bit. It's an internet forum not real life. Perhaps it's you not it that's the problem.
I, like Steve A and probably many others, also take time out now and again. Try it;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you have a problem with a thread then hit the little red triangle - then the mod's know that it is starting to annoy people - they might take action against that person without you knowing (certainly sometimes the only reason I know someone has be banned is when they come back and tell others about the ban).

The line between what is and isn't acceptable is a grey area rather than a sharp division. There are certain posters that can head towards that grey area for me ... but I've a tendency to just skip over their post rather than read it and get annoyed. Or if it got really bad I could put that poster on the ignore list - I've only done that possibly once or twice in the past and one of those has definitely left the forum since.

Top Bottom