Is CC becoming a victim of its own success ? ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

I'd be interested to see if there are any other CC's that are getting thorughly fed up with the non riding section of CC that seem bent on disrupting every thread with their stupid flaming.?

What happened to serious discussion about cycling related topics ?

I just selected 'new posts ' and I am struggling to see 5x serious bike topics in the first 20 threads.

I for one feel that it is about time that some clearer guidelines were introduced about posting policy . What is acceptable behaviour and what isn't .

When Mods start flaming and making personal attacks on other members and use abusive and insulting language I think its time that some sensible moderation was intoduced.

personally I blame the rise of the L&P forum . I believe that a lot of the topics and language used is not appropriate to a cycling forum but that is just my opinion. The negative aspects of the L&P forum are starting to spill over onto other sections as they look for 'easy 'prey' to flame.

I think CC is heading for a C+ or ACF type meltdown shortly if things continue as they are

rh100

peanut said:
I'd be interested to see if there are any other CC's that are getting thorughly fed up with the non riding section of CC that seem bent on disrupting every thread with their stupid flaming.?

What happened to serious discussion about cycling related topics ?

I just selected 'new posts ' and I am struggling to see 5x serious bike topics in the first 20 threads.

I for one feel that it is about time that some clearer guidelines were introduced about posting policy . What is acceptable behaviour and what isn't .

When Mods start flaming and making personal attacks on other members and use abusive and insulting language I think its time that some sensible moderation was intoduced.

personally I blame the rise of the L&P forum . I believe that a lot of the topics and language used is not appropriate to a cycling forum but that is just my opinion. The negative aspects of the L&P forum are starting to spill over onto other sections as they look for 'easy 'prey' to flame.

I think CC is heading for a C+ or ACF type meltdown shortly if things continue as they are

Why would a non riding section have to have serious posts about cycling? I understood the Cafe etc was for chit chat. You posted two yourself today that I have seen. I don't understand the problem with that.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Peanut has been bonjed!

As for L&P, I've never even clicked the link, honest injun. I think a lot of the posting migrates to Cafe in the evening as people just want to shoot the breeze, with or without the aid of dizzy water. That's fine, and I do it myself sometimes. There's still plenty of gold in CC, by and large people observe the tone of each section and there's not the sense that you're treading on eggshells all the time (CTC Forum - I'm looking at you!)

gbb

Legendary Member
I detected this a few weeks ago, a real niggly phase, the same we had on C+.
It fairly irked me at the time and i stopped coming in for a short time.
To be fair i thought it had passed ?

OP
OP
P

peanut

rh100 said:
Why would a non riding section have to have serious posts about cycling? I understood the Cafe etc was for chit chat. You posted two yourself today that I have seen. I don't understand the problem with that.

no I'm not referring to the Cafe obviously. I think that section is essential for any healthy internet community.
I was referring to other sections where members wish to discuss various biking issues seriously and threads get flamed and degenerate into a silly arguments,personal insults or go off topic etc.
Many many threads end up this way often started by new members who are never seen again:sad:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
So why not start some threads about bikes then.
Starting moaning threads does little for the development of cc, but it does create a bad vibe.

OP
OP
P

peanut

gbb said:
I detected this a few weeks ago, a real niggly phase, the same we had on C+.
It fairly irked me at the time and i stopped coming in for a short time.
To be fair i thought it had passed ?

I'm not so sure myself.:laugh:

I have definitely noticed a reluctance in myself to log in at CC in the past 2x months or so which is a shame

I have been actively seeking new communities to frequent where there are fewer posters but a more grown up attitude. maybe we are attracting too many kids and minority group members ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can't say I've witnessed much flaming in cycling threads and most of P&L is gentle maulings by willing participants who'd kiss and make-up over a beer or a bike ride.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Steve Austin said:
So why not start some threads about bikes then.
Starting moaning threads does little for the development of cc, but it does create a bad vibe.

its not intended as a moaning thread. Why is it that you see it as such ?
How do you think that your comment has added anything constructive Steve ? Do you not see that your response is actually part of the problem.

No-one needs to start new threads . What I am drawing attention to is the overwhelming tendancy for serious thread issues to be flamed by idiots who have nothing beter to do than post some silly non construvctive ,confrontational comment and push off to the next thread.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can't say I've noticed a serious problem. I rarely go to P&L, and to be honest I spend a lot of my time posting non-cycling stuff. I quite like just shooting the breeze with amiable folk about old music and silly jokes and puns. I don't in truth have all that much cycling bidniss to transact. Mostly I just ride.

If I do want answers though, I do pose the questions...and mostly get helpful responses. And I drop into beginners and know how sometimes and help out if I can. But no, I don't see any great problem.

Some people come by spoiling for a fight, or just being stubborn & silly...but in my experience they're easy enough to avoid. I tend to just state my position (if I feel inclined) then walk away. It's never worth getting into an argument - it achieves nothing. And it's not what I come here for.

OP
OP
P

peanut

well maybe i am expecting too much from CC or maybe Its just me , I have failed to notice CC has developed and evolved into a more social type of community.

Perhaps you lot are right :laugh: maybe I should just accept that CC is now what is is and shove off to TT or Tri or RoadBikes or whatever when i wish to talk serious bike stuff and just drop in here when I want an amiable chat or shoot the breeze as you put it and just put up with the trolls and flaming

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
its the nature of forums. serious debate descends into farce as someone spells something wrong, or uses an apostrophe in the wrong place.
and i think you'll find this forum remarkably troll free Peanut, something the mods do a remarkable job on.
maybe you are just tired of CC. i know i get that like that. some parts more than others :laugh:

Manonabike

Über Member
peanut said:
its not intended as a moaning thread. Why is it that you see it as such ?
How do you think that your comment has added anything constructive Steve ? Do you not see that your response is actually part of the problem.

No-one needs to start new threads . What I am drawing attention to is the overwhelming tendancy for serious thread issues to be flamed by idiots who have nothing beter to do than post some silly non construvctive ,confrontational comment and push off to the next thread.

This is so true but it's nothing new here.... maybe not as bad as it's now.

Top Bottom