Is Collecting Bikes an Obsession or a Need to do Something Creative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
5 now myself after my latest creation,I need a bigger place to keep them as I'm having to use the shed I keep the kids bikes and gardening stuff now too

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru

Attachments

• Olympic5.JPG
    Olympic5.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 13

Punkawallah

Über Member
I have a set of Falcon bars with the foam grips - you can have them for postage if you’d like? I’m not going to chance taking the grips off :-)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not my thing. I've no intention of buying another bike unless my main bike gets broken or nicked.

I thought about buying myself a fancy new bike for my 60th birthday, but in the end I just got myself some new wheels.

I did buy a Brompton in about 2015 because I had a particular commuting use for it, but that's in the past and I hardly ever ride it any more. It's under a cover in my office. It comes out now and then.

Maybe when I retire I might start a restoration project or two.

Drago

Legendary Member
I downsized my bicycle fleet significantly when I moved house as I went from two garages and an 18 x 15 summer house to only one garage (Biggs was only too happy to assist and console me in my grief) and I went from 13 bikes to 3. It was actually quite difficult to do psychologically as cycling is such a big part of who I am, and took a while to come to terms with.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I do admit to owning more GPSs than bikes. Techy gadgets, that's my weakness. And they take up less space.

I have noticed a whole load of 'community' bike restoration projects are springing up - at least 4 I know of fairly local to me and one a bit further away. The one I have looked around most seems to be mostly but not all guys, huge age range, saw one in his early 20's, another told me he is 85 this year (and just bought yet another bike for himself! Great stuff!). A lot of the groups are run by volunteers and they seem really nice people with some great stories. Check with your local council if you want to get bikes from them or help them out as they mostly seem linked to Councils.

I think they are popular with bicycle fettlers as they are sort of 'enthusist mechanics clubs' but also very sociable fun places for the volunteers to hang out and fix stuff with like minded folk. Also, with bike prices now, so many people/families just cant afford to buy a new bike, which is a disgraceful situation.

My appreciation to anyone who helps out in such places.

Top Bottom