Is drafting cheating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stoofer

Some folk really don't like being drafted eh? I had just caught up with a cyclist and tucked in behind to check the traffic before pushing on ahead when he noticed me and waved me on - which I did gladly. As I passed he mentioned something about towing so I slowed to discuss this, his concern seemed to be that this was dangerous and I hadn't even let him know I was there..

Fortunately, he had put his headphones back in and therefore couldn't hear me by the time I gave my opinion.

I cannot really get worked up about people drafting me - to me its almost like a compliment - I am so slow that it only really happens if I am cycling into a big wind

Although I was a little suprised last year when crossing Germany fully loaded into a big westerly to be drafted for almost 10k by a fully kitted out roadie - I know that I must make an enormous hole in the air but he must have been exhausted already - and extremly patient

It only paying me back when I bit younger when touring in France I could generate enough acceleration to jump the back of pelatons passing me and then flat out to stay on the back - I did have a roadie volunteer to give me a tow from the top of Galiber to Briancon - which worked really well - 300mm from his rear tyre plus I had gravity on my side for most of the way so we were both motoring

GrasB

Veteran
I have no problem with drafters as long as they stay out of my rear vision. Most sports cyclists understand this & hold a line a little towards the nearside (also sports cyclists around here tend to ride in a weak secondary rather than the strong secondary I prefer). What I hate is when someone drafts & goes to my offside so I have no rear visibility over my right shoulder.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Some folk really don't like being drafted eh? I had just caught up with a cyclist and tucked in behind to check the traffic before pushing on ahead when he noticed me and waved me on - which I did gladly. As I passed he mentioned something about towing so I slowed to discuss this, his concern seemed to be that this was dangerous and I hadn't even let him know I was there..

Fortunately, he had put his headphones back in and therefore couldn't hear me by the time I gave my opinion.

It's got to be more dangerous than not drafting, regardless of individual skills, due to reduced reaction times.

400bhp

Guru
It's got to be more dangerous than not drafting, regardless of individual skills, due to reduced reaction times.

Who cares whether someone drafts you, so long as you know they are there for the reasons above.

It's not a bleedin race, its cycling to work :rolleyes:

stoofer

The safety aspect wasn't really the point I was trying to make, more the cheek of someone who chooses to hinder one of their senses with headphones and then question the decision making of someone who they had no idea was there or for how long as a result.

GrasB

Veteran
It shouldn't take more than 5s before you know someone is behind you regardless of hearing because that's the sort of period I'd say is about the duration between your regular shoulder checks when riding. ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Who cares whether someone drafts you, so long as you know they are there for the reasons above.

It's not a bleedin race, its cycling to work :rolleyes:

Agreed, I don't care about someone behind me from the 'getting a tow' perspective, it's the 'might run into the back of you' perspective that would bother me. Depends how close they are, how used to drafting they are and how well they can anticipate, and react to, what you will do. But you don't know any of that when someone appears behind you.

zizou

Veteran
It annoys me a bit if its a stranger who just comes up unannounced and sits on my wheel without a word. Partly i find it a bit creepy if im out in the country side on my own and someone is riding so close yet not even saying hello but it is mostly i dont know what there bike handling skills are like - i had my rear tyre 'buzzed' a few weeks back and it wasnt a pleasant experience when i was going about 25 mph, was lucky to keep upright!

400bhp

Guru
Agreed, I don't care about someone behind me from the 'getting a tow' perspective, it's the 'might run into the back of you' perspective that would bother me. Depends how close they are, how used to drafting they are and how well they can anticipate, and react to, what you will do. But you don't know any of that when someone appears behind you.

Fair point.

I'm largely thinking of someone I overtake then sits on my wheel, or vice versa.

I've not really experienced someone creeping up and sitting on my wheel.

I must admit I don't like to draft due to that uncertainty about the person in front (or what is front of them) and I usually drop folk behind for similar reasons but if I don't and they draft me and come through, I'll happily draft then (if its rural); I've figured out in they minutes how adept they are.

neslon

I could'nt give a toss and I fail to see why some folk here get so worked up about this. Just pedal at your preferred cadence and enjoy the experience. Draft me whenever you want, but I'm usually full of beer and curry, so be it on your own head.

Hopefully not literally...

Maz

Guru
Can you get much benefit from drafting another cyclist? A big truck/bus-sized vehicle like a truck or bus, yes, but a lone cyclist in front of you? You'd have to be nipping his back wheel to get anything out of it, right?

BSRU

A Human Being
Can you get much benefit from drafting another cyclist? A big truck/bus-sized vehicle like a truck or bus, yes, but a lone cyclist in front of you? You'd have to be nipping his back wheel to get anything out of it, right?

Drafting a large vehicle is a recipe for disaster as you cannot see what is happening in front of the vehicle and the driver cannot see you.

I was drafted by a bso mtb rider who caught me up while I was waiting at some lights. At the next set of lights, just 600 metres away, he looked completely cream crackered and about to have a heart attack. Needless to say he did not bother to draft me again, I was not even going that quick just 30 kph.

Top Bottom