Is drafting cheating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Drafting a large vehicle is a recipe for disaster as you cannot see what is happening in front of the vehicle and the driver cannot see you.
Obviously I couldn't possibly recommend such a dangerous practice, but the risk can be mitigated if you (1) know the road and are prepared to believe there are no new potholes since yesterday, (2) choose a vehicle which is unlikely to stop suddenly, like a bus (driver won't want to make all the passengers fall over)

Still probably only a pastime for the young and immortal, though

Can you get much benefit from drafting another cyclist? A big truck/bus-sized vehicle like a truck or bus, yes, but a lone cyclist in front of you? You'd have to be nipping his back wheel to get anything out of it, right?

There's definitely benefit to be gained from drafting, its claimed up to 30% but for it to be effective you've got to be less than 6-12 inches not quite as close as you think ;) but still too close to be comfortable if its a stranger and commute.
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQ9USiKcDE[/media]

BSRU

A Human Being
Obviously I couldn't possibly recommend such a dangerous practice, but the risk can be mitigated if you (1) know the road and are prepared to believe there are no new potholes since yesterday, (2) choose a vehicle which is unlikely to stop suddenly, like a bus (driver won't want to make all the passengers fall over)

Still probably only a pastime for the young and immortal, though

I seen lots of buses stop very quickly and unexpectedly. If something like a small kid runs out in front of the large vehicle you are not going to know about until it's to late.

Drafting a large vehicle is a recipe for disaster as you cannot see what is happening in front of the vehicle and the driver cannot see you.

I was drafted by a bso mtb rider who caught me up while I was waiting at some lights. At the next set of lights, just 600 metres away, he looked completely cream crackered and about to have a heart attack. Needless to say he did not bother to draft me again, I was not even going that quick just 30 kph.

Nah, drafting trucks and buses is a lot of fun and not that dangerous if you pay attention to where the vehicle you're drafting is going. I've only had to put may hand out to stop against the back of a braking vehicle a couple of times. :laugh:

While the full benefit of drafting another cyclist is best felt when only a couple of inches from their back wheel, there is still some benefit when you hang back by a couple of feet.

Top Bottom