Is Freesat blabbing to Google?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Something really weird has just happened and I am trying to figure out HOW!

I have recently started watching 'Barnwood Builders'. I watch it via a Freesat PVR. The builders use chainsaws A LOT.

I have just gone on YouTube on my smart TV. As usual, the YT app on the TV suggested a lot of videos that I might be interested in based on what I have watched and searched for on the app. (I am not logged in so I am presented with different suggestions on the TV to what I get on YT on my laptop.) As always, I got programming videos, music videos, political videos etc.

Tonight, for the first time ever though, YT suggested that I might be VERY interested in chainsaws ... People cutting down trees with chainsaws, chainsaw reviews, builders using chainsaws, how to repair chainsaws ...

How the hell do Google know that I have been binge-watching a programme featuring chainsaws! :eek:

I have never searched for chainsaw videos and I have never searched for websites dealing with chainsaws. Until a moment ago, I had never even searched for info on Barnwood Builders either.

All I can think is that my Freesat box is telling Google my IP address and what I have been watching. If not, why does YT suddenly think that I have developed an interest in chainsaws? :whistle:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Bid Brother is watching YOU !

I think it's now called corporate surveillance or surveillance capitalism.
They want to know everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have just found a Data Permissions consent in the PVR's settings, but I had already opted out. If they are sharing that information despite that then they are breaking the law!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 5544637, member: 9609"]do you have alexia - she's may be listening to your TV and getting a bit confused

there could be some cataclysmic cyber event triggered by an out of control feedback loop - Alexia hears stuff about chainsaws which prompts more programmes about chainsaws which compels alexia to send out more chainsaw content .............. internet blows a fuse, and the worlds infrastructure collapses.[/QUOTE]
No bloody way - I know that the NSA/GCHQ can probably nobble our mobile phones to switch the mics on without us knowing, but I do not trust Google/Amazon to have an always-on mic in my house!

Of course, my Samsung smart TV has a microphone built in too. I have switched that off, but IS IT REALLY SWITCHED OFF ... :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm going to try an experiment and access YT on my phone and laptop and see if the damn chainsaws make appearances there too...! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5544637, member: 9609"]do you have alexia - she's may be listening to your TV and getting a bit confused

there could be some cataclysmic cyber event triggered by an out of control feedback loop - Alexia hears stuff about chainsaws which prompts more programmes about chainsaws which compels alexia to send out more chainsaw content .............. internet blows a fuse, and the worlds infrastructure collapses.[/QUOTE]
Why not life or health insurance then?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 5544652, member: 9609"]I have a samsung smart tv, but I don't think it has a mic - how would I find out for definate ?

my phone is permanately off and is mostly on my bike in the garage. (so I'm safe with that one)
99% certain my computer/monitor don't have one.
I find it all a bit worrying

and no way I would have an alexia[/QUOTE]
My TV flashes a mic symbol up on the screen when I switch it on.

I just checked - the mic is in the second remote control. I have a standard control and a second 'smart' one which I don't normally use. That has a 'Voice' button on it and when I pressed that it popped a box up on the TV saying that it would respond to a few basic commands unless I agreed to it doing more. But ... does the remote/TV work out what I said, or is the signal sent to Samsung to work out what the basic command was!

Anyway, I won't be pressing the button, but again - we have to trust that the thing isn't listening anyway!

Google have just admitted that they 'forgot' to tell us that their Nest security devices have microphones in ...

Top Bottom