Is Freesat blabbing to Google?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Try a new experiment?
Watch lots of programmes about xxx (fill in a suitable subject here) and see what google does?

gbb

Legendary Member
There was a program or article on this subject the other week, it's Google et al forming predictive, behavioural information, it's the way forward apparently, they'll be able to (based o billions of bits of I formation collected) predict and target advertising specifically on almost individual behavioural tendencies.
It's quite scary in a way. There was a name for it...'something' capitalism.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't - I broke the phone with a removable battery. The replacement phone has a fixed battery.

Makes one wonder if the phone manufacturers are all in on the plot - ha ha! :laugh:

There was a program or article on this subject the other week, it's Google et al forming predictive, behavioural information, it's the way forward apparently, they'll be able to (based o billions of bits of I formation collected) predict and target advertising specifically on almost individual behavioural tendencies.
It's quite scary in a way. There was a name for it...'something' capitalism.
I know the kind of things that Google are up to. I was just trying to work out HOW in this case.

Hmm, no chainsaws on YT on the phone but I have just been offered a video about Keanu Reeves. I watched a film starring him last night for the first time in many years ON THE TV! (If I had watched it on the phone, it would not seem quite so odd for Google to know about it.)

I will try my tablet now and see what pops up there...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will try my tablet now and see what pops up there...
Ha - what pops up now is a message telling me to update the YouTube app on the tablet, but when I try, it doesn't work. It isn't telling me that the version of Android is too old, but that is probably the problem - bloody technology!

I'll see what YT comes up with on my second laptop instead...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

YT on laptop #2 is doing a good job of suggesting stuff I am interested in, based on what I have previously watched/searched for on the laptop...

No chainsaws!

It was such a random thing, suddenly being blitzed by them last night. Let's see if me mentioning chainsaws, chainsaws, chainsaws, chainsaws here now instigates Chainsaw #2, Revenge of the Powertools on this laptop ...

classic33

Leg End Member
YT on laptop #2 is doing a good job of suggesting stuff I am interested in, based on what I have previously watched/searched for on the laptop...

No chainsaws!

It was such a random thing, suddenly being blitzed by them last night. Let's see if me mentioning chainsaws, chainsaws, chainsaws, chainsaws here now instigates Chainsaw #2, Revenge of the Powertools on this laptop ...
Try "tree felling'.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I did a search for 'tree fellers' and I got The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly ...! :whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. Share a lot of intimation between them. It is why some I have completely stopped using, installed tracking blockers, and generally moved to search engines that respect privacy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm going to try something else this evening ... find a really obscure programme on a previously unwatched subject on Freesat and see if I start getting YT video suggestions on that subject.

Perhaps there has been a huge new marketing effort by the global chainsaw industry! :laugh: Were any of you been getting chainsaw video suggestions on YT yesterday BEFORE YOU CAME INTO THIS THREAD?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I have recently started watching 'Barnwood Builders'. I watch it via a Freesat PVR.

How the hell do Google know that I have been binge-watching a programme featuring chainsaws!

How exactly have you been "binge-watching" the programme ? Presumably via some kind of on-demand facility rather than just watch scheduled showings on Freesat ?

Top Bottom