Is grease grease.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not any more, post Brexit. You have to fill out a customs and excise goose fat export form, and regrease your bearings in the demilitarised zone under the beady eye of Jacob Rees Mogg

You have nothing to fear from the feds, surely you can slip through their fingers...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Pretty sure i bought my 500ml tub of Castrol moly grease in the mid 90s for a car CV joint.

I dont do car stuff anymore, so with just the odd dollop for bike bearings the tub will easily see me out.

My tub of grease is for CV joints. I don't know what a CV joint is, I bought it from Halfords donkeys years ago. I just wanted greasy grease and it fitted the bill

tyred

Legendary Member
Can't afford to waste it on bearings...roasties come first!

I learned on a tour of Blennerville windmill that prior to petroleum products becoming more readily available, goose fat was used to grease the bearings and gears in windmills. This attracted rats, so mill owners closed cats in the mills overnight to kill the rats. Hoppers full of wheat make an attractive cat litter tray....flour in the eighteenth century wasn't a particularly hygienic product....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I learned on a tour of Blennerville windmill that prior to petroleum products becoming more readily available, goose fat was used to grease the bearings and gears in windmills. This attracted rats, so mill owners closed cats in the mills overnight to kill the rats. Hoppers full of wheat make an attractive cat litter tray....flour in the eighteenth century wasn't a particularly hygienic product....

Am not sure it's that much better today - maybe less cat poo!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can't afford to waste it on bearings...roasties come first!

One Christmas, on Nigella's strict instructions,I attempted to roast the spuds in goose fat. It was an utter disaster, possibly because I was completely "Keith Floyd" by meal time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I reckon a bike would run perfectly well on butter, or lard if you wanted a white grease.

Another advantage is you'd have plenty leftover to spread on your toast.

Drago

Legendary Member
One Christmas, on Nigella's strict instructions,I attempted to roast the spuds in goose fat. It was an utter disaster, possibly because I was completely "Keith Floyd" by meal time.

I can't think of a way of saying what I was going to say about Nigella and chip fat without it soundng totally pervy. So I won't.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I reckon a bike would run perfectly well on butter, or lard if you wanted a white grease.

Another advantage is you'd have plenty leftover to spread on your toast.

Real cyclists would certainly use Lard as a bare minimum, or Atora Suet for the hardcore Sportive rider. Veggie cyclists may prefer TREX obvs....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Real cyclists would certainly use Lard as a bare minimum, or Atora Suet for the hardcore Sportive rider. Veggie cyclists may prefer TREX obvs....

But if you have a Colnago fitted out with the latest Campagnolo running gear, nothing but the finest extra-virgin single-estate olive oil will do. (Edit, thinking about it the Italians do a nice line in special lard: lardo from Colonna https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/features/lardo-di-colonnata-hidden-treasure-in-the-apuan-alps)

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I rewatched a few of his shows recently - genius. So much unscripted in one long live take - no wonder he drank!

I read a couple of obituaries recently. I was impressed by the sheer resilience of the man, surviving all manner of financial, professional and personal crises........and bouncing back with a large glass of wine in his hand. I hope he enjoyed his slightly chaotic life.:cheers:
:cheers::cheers:

Top Bottom