Is high cadence efficient? Research doesn't agree!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling_Samurai

https://road.cc/content/feature/cycling-cadence-how-fast-should-you-pedal-256654?amp

I got my road bike back in August. I had road a hybrid for three months grinding it up the hills. I started venturing out going long distances as you might guess pushing hard on smaller gears. I tired out easily at first and gradually got better and a little faster. I was doing 13 to 14 mph. I was fast! Or so I thought. I got into dropping gears to spin faster. I got a little faster. I was riding the hoods and tops. I made use of Triathlon bars to get areo dynamic. I found myself going faster. Still found myself tiring out. But I was rocking 15 mph average! Recently, last 3 weeks I began working on increasing my cadence and using my drops. I found my average 16 mph range. Hitting 20 mph for several miles. I have felt less tired and more energized. I'm way faster even using lower (bigger) gears. Ok so read information in the link above and have to disagree with the research. Higher cadence on lower gears is the way to go. Especially if you are a beginner. Otherwise I think you'll be a beginner for a very long time.
However in line with the research I'm going to say if you want to prepare for 100 milers using harder gears and smashing it is better training. At least in my experience. I'm not saying go do 100 miler smashing it. I'm saying train that way. Then use higher cadence when you do the 100 miler. I'm still an amateur so take I'm definitely not the subject matter expert. I'm merely sharing my experience. What are your thoughts and experience?

Lovacott

Über Member
I got my road bike back in August. I had road a hybrid for three months grinding it up the hills. I started venturing out going long distances as you might guess pushing hard on smaller gears. I tired out easily at first and gradually got better and a little faster. I was doing 13 to 14 mph. I was fast! Or so I thought. I got into dropping gears to spin faster. I got a little faster. I was riding the hoods and tops. I made use of Triathlon bars to get areo dynamic. I found myself going faster. Still found myself tiring out. But I was rocking 15 mph average! Recently, last 3 weeks I began working on increasing my cadence and using my drops. I found my average 16 mph range. Hitting 20 mph for several miles.
Spinning really fast gives me a sickly feeling in my legs which makes them feel like they do when I have a bad dose of the flu.

I've always preferred to use the hardest gear I can and grind my way up the hills.

I've ridden that way since I was a kid when I had no choice on a fixed gear bike. As a result, my legs are quite muscular.

On the flat cycle path near me, my average speed on my MTB is 16mph (according to my Cateye Velo). My commute over hill and vale averages at 11mph.

I haven't got a device yet for the new road bike, but compared to the MTB, I reckon I'm 50% faster (at least).

All that said, I'm not sure if I have the right technique or fitness levels to do anything more than 20 miles or so in one hit. When the days lengthen out a bit, I'm going to try to do a few fifty mile circuits that don't take me further than ten miles away from home (then if I get knackered, I don't have far to go back).

Higher cadence seems to suit me better.
The theory is I think that you "dance on the pedals".
I did make a conscious effort on a Dunwich Dynamo once to keep my gears down and cadence up - counted the revs for a few single minutes now and then. It was the easiest one I have ever done - I almost felt like I'd floated there.
I'd definitely avoid "pushing the gears" most of the time.
I'm not a racer.

edit: If thinking about it/monitoring myself I aim for something approaching 100rpm.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
https://road.cc/content/feature/cycling-cadence-how-fast-should-you-pedal-256654?amp

I got my road bike back in August. I had road a hybrid for three months grinding it up the hills. I started venturing out going long distances as you might guess pushing hard on smaller gears. I tired out easily at first and gradually got better and a little faster. I was doing 13 to 14 mph. I was fast! Or so I thought. I got into dropping gears to spin faster. I got a little faster. I was riding the hoods and tops. I made use of Triathlon bars to get areo dynamic. I found myself going faster. Still found myself tiring out. But I was rocking 15 mph average! Recently, last 3 weeks I began working on increasing my cadence and using my drops. I found my average 16 mph range. Hitting 20 mph for several miles. I have felt less tired and more energized. I'm way faster even using lower (bigger) gears. Ok so read information in the link above and have to disagree with the research. Higher cadence on lower gears is the way to go. Especially if you are a beginner. Otherwise I think you'll be a beginner for a very long time.
However in line with the research I'm going to say if you want to prepare for 100 milers using harder gears and smashing it is better training. At least in my experience. I'm not saying go do 100 miler smashing it. I'm saying train that way. Then use higher cadence when you do the 100 miler. I'm still an amateur so take I'm definitely not the subject matter expert. I'm merely sharing my experience. What are your thoughts and experience?
Most of what you describe is simply discovering over a period of time works best for you. Your road riding time is limited and it's quite natural you will have taken a few months to experiment with different styles.

Yes, short intense periods of training will have a significant impact on your overall fitness. During the first 2020 lockdown I rode solo 5/7 days 30/35 miles at an average of 15-17mph. The solo riding had a big impact as I'm usually in a group with plenty of rest opportunities. I was the fittest I've been in ten years.

I need to get back to it as I've lost about 10% in the last two months.

Twilkes

Guru
I don't fully understand the science and have only skimmed a couple of the links, but the gist seems to be that higher cadence used more oxygen and less carbs. That kind of suits me as there's an unlimited supply of oxygen I can breath in but I can only digest and use a limited amount of carbs.

On any decent ride, at the end my legs feel run down but I'm not gasping for air. I once tried a short hill climb in different gears, so different cadences, and they were all about the same speed, but took much less recovery with the higher cadences. Sweet spot was about 85rpm. 60rpm is way too slow for me for anything apart from pootling along with the family.

Venod

Eh up
When I was younger and doing a lot of running as well as cycling I pushed big gears, I had strong muscular legs from running, on club runs I always got comments on my low cadence, but nowadays I am firmly in the spinners camp, I am not much slower than I was 40 years ago, the legs are slimmer, I can still keep up with a lot of the youngsters, spinning works for me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Why does it have to be so complicated? When pedaling becomes difficult, change to a lower gear!
I have no idea what my cadence might be, but not being over muscular in general, probably quite high. If you are built like a brick shitehouse, your maybe going to grind your knees to an early death in higher gears. Just stick to what suits you best.

Why does it have to be so complicated? When pedaling becomes difficult, change to a lower gear!
It's not that complicated brandane :smile:
I don't use any electronics or whatever to monitor my riding apart from a simple speedo/GPS.
I'd suggest that it you are waiting until pedalling becomes difficult to change gear, you are going to be in too high a gear a lot of the time.
I would guess that in practice this isn't what you are actually doing.

I have no idea what my cadence might be, but not being over muscular in general, probably quite high. If you are built like a brick shitehouse, your maybe going to grind your knees to an early death in higher gears. Just stick to what suits you best.
And be prepared to change your riding style as you get older.
I don't have the same muscle strength nowadays so use lower gears, that's what gears are for.
If you ride a fixie (heaven forbid!) then you'll just have to suffer.^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We all know that if you mash it up the hills etc, sooner or later your legs will die. So spinning up hills can save your legs over longer distances. I don’t have anyway of monitoring cadence but generally I’ll be riding at a lower cadence on the flat when I’m not maxing out my power, then spin it up hills. Mostly you’ll find a cadence that suits you. Just look at your mates when riding together, quite a range of choices when it comes to cadence. All good.

D

Deleted member 1258

And be prepared to change your riding style as you get older.
I don't have the same muscle strength nowadays so use lower gears, that's what gears are for.
If you ride a fixie (heaven forbid!) then you'll just have to suffer.^_^

If you ride a fixed just lower the gearing when you get older.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I try to follow what I was taught to do when learning to drive a car - change down early.
Yes. I know my routes. For one area that leads to from a relatively flat long section to a short increasingly steep small elevation and then levels out before a long gradual slope to the top. I start by building up my cadence and speed climbing the harder gears to hitting the smaller steep elevation then spin it on the level area to up my gears to climb the gradual slope. Depending on how consistently I follow the shifting and cadence the easier it is. If I don't go fast enough from the start then it's more draining.

Top Bottom