Is Innertube Sealant different to Tubeless Sealant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you also need to check the model of rim as the tyre needs to seal on the edge. 6061 is just a type of aluminium, there will be a model type somewhere. if they are generic cheap rims then probably not suitable for tubeless use.

Looking for valves, current rims have Schrader but most of the ones I see on Fleecebay are Presta is that normal? Are there any good makes, or are they all the same?
You can put a insert into schrader rim so a presta fits. Pennies.
I find with slime you have to pump up after the flat to get a decent seal to get you home and sometimes a second time.

Is it possible to turn rims that are made for tube into tubeless?
My rims are Sputniks on 2 bikes the third is electric bike do not think they are top of range though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Give it 10 years and the bike manufacturers will be selling us the latest, new-tech, tubed clincher tyres and claiming the 'new' system is a massive improvement over tubeless due to lack of compatibility issues, rapid road/trail side repairs, easy initial setup and tyres that can be fitted to and removed from rims by a child that doesn't have arms like a gorilla!

You heard it here first.... :laugh:

Give it 10 years and the bike manufacturers will be selling us the latest, new-tech, tubed clincher tyres and claiming the 'new' system is a massive improvement over tubeless due to lack of compatibility issues, rapid road/trail side repairs, easy initial setup and tyres that can be fitted to and removed from rims by a child that doesn't have arms like a gorilla!

Why 10 years? Technology is moving quicker than that. Next week more like it!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Out on Saturday as as I was coming back home I could feel the back of the bike wasn't right it was moving around too much. About 1/2 mile from home I stopped & found a couple of large thorns in the tyre, so pulled them out, checked & could see anymore obvious ones, gave it a quick CO2 & made it home. But by the time to kettle had boiled it was flat again
Pulling the thorns out is a mistake.

Thorns can plug the holes they've made quite well, so sealant has a much easier job of it. Pull the thorn out, and rather than a well plugged & sealed hole, you've got an unplugged and unsealed hole, which will promptly leak air, faster than it did in the first place.
Even without sealant, I've ridden 100 miles with a large thorn through the tyre and tube.

Sealant always works better in tubeless than it does in inner tubes because tyres don't stretch, but tubes do, and usually are when fully inflated.

Another point is that CO2 makes many sealants, go off, with the latex curdling into lumps

screenman

Legendary Member

How would an inner tube stood up to the 14 thorns I pulled out of my tyre, none of which made me stop mid ride to fix? If they had them putting a plug in is extremely quick and easy, also fitting a tube would be no problem but in 10 of riding tubeless in this Hawthorne infected area I have never had to.

Went tubeless on my MTB 3 years ago. Never had a single puncture in that time. Occasionally topped up fluid with a bottle I reach for on shelf in garage. Cant get much easier than that.
Fella down road from me commutes and rides weekends. 20 mile round trip commute & maybe 60-100 mile on a weekend ride. He said having switched to tubeless on road bike he would never switch back. He does not miss one bit fixing a puncture in pissing down rain on a dark cycle path and then turning up at work in a foul mood ☺️. So far no punctures with tubeless.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Pulling the thorns out is a mistake.
But surely if you don't then with a tube once you pump it back up it's just going to make another hole in the tube, I can understand the logic in tubeless, but tubed?

that's standard rim-tape, tubeless stuff comes on roll e.g
So that green rim tape just protects the tube from the end of the spokes, the one in the link does more?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
But surely if you don't then with a tube once you pump it back up it's just going to make another hole in the tube, I can understand the logic in tubeless, but tubed?

So that green rim tape just protects the tube from the end of the spokes, the one in the link does more?
he meant mid-ride - more likely to get home with the thorn still in, blocking up the hole, than if you pull it out as that exacerbates the deflationary process.

"tubeless" tape is adhesive so if forms an airtight seal. tape to protect a tube from spoke ends is usually a tad thicker and an elastic "loop" which helps keep it in place, but doesn't form an airtight seal as gaps in the seal occur as and when your rim flexes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I could be wrong but it looks like your rims already have tubeless tape on them. Is the tape stuck to the surface?
I think it is, but would have to take the tyre off to confirm, but they are Alex Rims 6061H-T6 I'm sure I looked a couple of years ago & they were tubeless ready but what that means exactly I don't know, searching their website today I can't find them.

Top Bottom