Is installing a headset a LBS job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
The only bit I sometimes struggle with is fitting the crown race to the top of the forks. Any ideas?

Alot of the headsets now have a split in the fork crown race, this allows them to go on no problem. Obviously this only works with headsets that use cartridge type bearings instead of individual ball bearings.

Jonathan M

Rhythm Thief said:
The only bit I sometimes struggle with is fitting the crown race to the top of the forks. Any ideas?

Crown race tool or a decent length of scaffold pipe, seeing as thats all my crown race tool seems to be.

Some crown races for cartridge headsets are split, makes fitting a doddle. (Edit:bollox, need to read all the posts before replying, all due respect to GilesM as I had not read his post re split crown races.)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've always been a bit chicken of doing it myself, but I did fit a new Chris King to the Fujin the other week. Bought a headset press and the Chris King "tools", and it was very easy and straight forward.

D4VOW

I fit mine without any problems. Just bought a headset press, lined it up straight and tightened until flush. It's not difficult.

Top Bottom