Is installing a headset a LBS job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
As that's the impression I get after Reading my Zinn book. He talks of special tools and the possibility of damaging things, should I leave it alone?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You don't need a shop to fit it, but most shops will have a headset press, that they will use.

I've fitted headsets with a trusty block of wood and a hammer, but now use a threaded bar with a few large washers on it. Considering it costs a fiver or so, its worth getting a shop to do it..

Personally, I'd say yes. It's probably one of the few things I'd ask an LBS to do, as they will have a press and shims to get the fit just right.

I fitted one once on a 531 frame and it came loose going down the honister pass. By the time I'd got to the bottom, the new headset was probably already ruined, it also made for a scary moment over a cattle grid which was when I first noticed. I had no tools to fix it (pre aheadset) and had to continue back to Keswick. The bearings just got hammered. So in the end it cost me two headsets and an LBS visit.

gf1959

My mobile bike mech' did my headset and he struggled like hell,best left to the LBS where they have the tools.

Jonathan M

Just remember if it all goes Pete Tong you can end up killing the frame, not just the headset. The cups need to go in paralell and straight, if they are out you can ovalise the head-tube and the cups will then never be a tight press fit, they'll always be loose.

Having said that I've installed several headsets, and have the tools to do the job (acquired over several years).

I've always done it with two blocks of wood and a copper mallet. It's not difficult.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer of the press Dave5N, much appreciated. I fear though that Little Nibbleit is probably a fair way from me :sad:

I appreciate that it can be done without, but being a ham fisted numpty I'll more than likely knacker the frame which will kill this project off in one go.

I only want to do this build so that I learn more about how bikes go together and so that I can fix things that break on the trail. If my headset packs up whilst out and about then I'd be unlikely to be carrying a spare anyway so I'm happy to leave that one to the pro's.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I use the threaded bar and big washers as SA mentioned, works very well, just make sure everything is well lined up before you apply any pressure.

Bodhbh

Guru
I bought a headset press and the tool to knockout the old one, as being a bit green I wanted to do it 'by the book' to avoid making a hash of it. It's not a hard job, but I think I'd want to use a press or bodge thereof myself. After replacing headsets on a couple of my bikes and 1 of a flatmate (who paid in Guinness) it's starting to repay itself.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Rhythm Thief said:
The only bit I sometimes struggle with is fitting the crown race to the top of the forks. Any ideas?

A length of pipe. the plastic stuff that plumbers use for waste pipes i think. I found a bit on a building site, I've always hoped it was unused :rolleyes:

Top Bottom