Is it a criminal offence to verbally abuse another road user?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...like a cyclist ? I am also sick and tired of the verbal abuse and murderous driving I am exposed to by motorists every time I ride.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i bloody hope not :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
It makes them angrier if you keep your calm. If you keep cool enough they can spontaneously combust with indignation.

And you'll feel better even if they don't.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I even thought about keeping my camera handy and letting them see me take a pic of their no. plate....trouble is thats easier said than done when trying to avoid death from a full on pimped fiesta attack.

pw2389

Smokin Joe said:
It would probably come under threatening behaviour, though getting plod interested enough to do anything on verbal abuse alone might be difficult.
Of course, if it is a car full of chavs, you can always tell plod that in addition to verbally abusing you, you thought they were smoking joints :biggrin:

With a bit of luck, if you made a note of the registration, plod might make a point of pulling them over if they spot them. At the least, it might inconvenience the chavs and, who knows, it is possible (quite likely?) that plod will find something chemical on their person or in the car...

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

there should be some sort of petition or a march or something to get this issue raised in parliament....maybe Boris can do something?

...perhpas we could organize a bikers revolution march...re claIM THE streets type of thing....we could call it **** the 4x4!

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
You could always go along to a Critical Mass.

He sounds indignant enough to be one all by himself.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Either I'm lucky or folk around here are kinder but I can only remember twice in 10 years or so of cycling that I've ever had even the most mild abuse from cars. The occasional accidental shaving and bad driving apart.

U

User482

Last year, I had an altercation with a lorry driver who had just tried to kill me. I descended into swearing loudly (as did he) and we were both pulled over by the police and warned that we were committing an offence. They were far more bothered about that than a potential fatality it seems.

Top Bottom