Is it a criminal offence to verbally abuse another road user?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe Patrick or spen could explain when verbal abuse becomes assault.

In theory assault means putting someone in fear. However, for practical purposes, threats etc are prosecuted under s 5 of the Public Order Act and actually hitting someone is dealt with under the Offences Against the Person Act.

Tetedelacourse

rich p said:
Either I'm lucky or folk around here are kinder but I can only remember twice in 10 years or so of cycling that I've ever had even the most mild abuse from cars. The occasional accidental shaving and bad driving apart.

Me too Rich - was beginning to feel I just cycle everywhere in a bubble of blissful unawareness; especially if you believe everything you read in Commuting.

I remember a while back in Edinburgh, a guy was arrested for telling a cop to "f_ck off" they charged him with something (I can't remember the charge). The Sheriff threw the case out as the guy hadn't been shouting. Nice to see the police and courtsd being used to their fullest capabilities.

Out of interest, I saw 2 cops on bikes last week. One of them was on the pavement, I slowed down and asked the one on the road if his colleague was allowed to cycle on the pavement. He looked puzzled and said that, yes he was. I laughed and asked if he was sure, to which he responded yes again, this time looking more puzzled than the first time!!!!

Tetedelacourse

Eat MY Dust said:
I remember a while back in Edinburgh, a guy was arrested for telling a cop to "f_ck off" they charged him with something (I can't remember the charge). The Sheriff threw the case out as the guy hadn't been shouting. Nice to see the police and courtsd being used to their fullest capabilities.

Out of interest, I saw 2 cops on bikes last week. One of them was on the pavement, I slowed down and asked the one on the road if his colleague was allowed to cycle on the pavement. He looked puzzled and said that, yes he was. I laughed and asked if he was sure, to which he responded yes again, this time looking more puzzled than the first time!!!!

:biggrin:

It would have been satisfying telling them to f*ck off in a calm manner, knowing you couldn't be nicked.

Noodley

Eat MY Dust said:

Aye, that was a breach of the peace. The Sheriff stated the Police officer would not have been alarmed or annoyed, as being told to F*** off was part of the job and therefore it did not constitute a breach of the peace. Aye whatever, Mr Sheriff.

Top Bottom