Is it actually possible to get a good nights sleep.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

The first night is always a bit crap, then you get the hang of it.

yup -i have the oppisete problem i tend to oversleep (worring when I have a plane or ferry to catch)- its just a matter of getting used to it - I have camped under motorway and railway bridges and once next to a motorway toll booth (did the earth move for you) some of it I put down to being a little deaf but it was just the same when I could hear better

light makes no difference - although I tend to get up earlier when in scandinavia in the summer its more due to the fact its warmer earlier - I always try to park the tent where its going to get the early morning sun

so you can sleep well in a tent - being tired due to a good (or bad day) on the road helps a lot

You'll get used to it (although I would second the eyemask and earplug suggestions). Also, get yourself one of those silk or cotton (or mix of both) sleeping bag liners, dead lightweight (especially the silk), stop the sweaty feeling from touching the sleeping bag and also very useful to lie in on their own when it's really hot. When it's really cold they offer a bit of extra warmth and if you have to stay in a grotty hotel/b&b it's an extra layer between you and the bed - wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well...last night was a little better....very hot again...couldnt settle...last time I was aware of was 3am. I awoke around 7am so that is 4 hours more than last night!

The sleeping bag was way to hot in the evening...but as the tent cooled down I was happy to have it. By 7am I had all the zips done up and was reluctant to get out....but the family mut ensured I wasn't able to forget to give him half of my breakfast:biggrin:

...I had thought about a liner but was not able to find one big enough....poor excuse I know....I will look again....also may try to half inch a cotton sheet from the bedroom and sew it up and cut out the feet ends...(I have to stick my feet out or I cant sleep). My concern is that I remember when I was a boy scout that these things had a habit of tieing you up in the night ready for strangulation in the morning.

I will try again tonight.... I am determined to get the suffering done before I set off....gawd nows what the neighbours must think!:rolleyes:

asterix

Comrade Member
Because IMO Punkypossum is right : Silk liners weigh nothing but can keep you warm on their own when it's too hot to be in the bag. As for the grotty hotels, they might save you from bedbugs:ohmy: Unfortunately a mere T-shirt is not so effective.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I thought about just sleeping in a t shirt and some old track suit bottoms (my sunday best)....it should do th ejob and avoid the need to be more adept than Houdeni to get out of the bag.

However (being more optimistic these days) it occurred to me that should I be lucky enough to ...erm....have female company a grubby sweaty bag isn't going to impress much....so in the interests of keeping the dream alive I will probably go with the liner ....as I believe a certain Mr. Ismay once said.;)

P.H

Über Member
Get a cheap double sheet, about a fiver, sew it in half, then use your bag opened up as a duvet. If it works then a silk sheet might be a worthwhile upgrade in the longterm. I'm experimenting with this, so far it's working well.

god tip from PH.

We have a "pound shop" which has single duvet covers for less than £4 - just cut the top edge off and ready to use as an inner.

Tony

I use a pillow made by Ajungilak, which is about a foot square and filled with synthetic sleeping bag material. Sit it on top of my clothes and it is fine. Packs down well and is lightweight.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If it's really hot, why use a tent at all?

Or if yours is the kind of tent where you can just pitch the flysheet, you might find that that gives you enough privacy, and will keep off any rain or dew.

Won't help with noise, light, uncomfortable ground etc, but then neither will the inner tent.

Top Bottom