Is it Christmas yet in your neck of the woods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
A few days ago, in part of France, I saw that the town was putting up the christmas lights. It seemed quite early and I just wondered if the same was going on anywhere in the UK?

Have you got yours up yet?

If it were upto me I'd put ours up on the 24th Dec and take them down on the 26th Dec, or if I didn't have kids I wouldn't put them up in the first place, humbug :surrender:

Sandra6

Veteran
I've been staring at Santa's blank face (he hasn't got any pupils in his eyes it's weird) at work for a fortnight already.
I noticed the lights being put up in the town centre last night.
My friends think I'm a bit of a Grinch about xmas, but I do like it -just not for weeks on end.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I spotted on Wednesday that York has the trees up on the fronts of shops already. Not lit up or anything yet though.

1st December would be soon enough for me. I think there's some idea that starting sooner makes people spend more, but they just spend the same over a longer period. Except for mince pies and Quality Street, which people buy early and then can't resist eating, so they buy them again.

RaRa

1st December would be soon enough for me.

I agree - it's madness starting Christmas now, by the time it arrives I've usually had enough and can't wait for it to be over!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I agree - it's madness starting Christmas now, by the time it arrives I've usually had enough and can't wait for it to be over!

I still love Christmas - the idea behind it: the festival to cheer you up in mid-winter, the excuse for a little bit of excess, seeing family, giving presents.

I'm pretty good at pacing myself and doing it all at my own convenience, but I hate the way people are pressured into starting to worry about it earlier and earlier, and to spend more and more each year on some new 'must have' trend (like weddings - suddenly, you have to have table confetti, or you're soooo last year!)

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
I'm not religious either but having left home at 18 to go to uni it's the one time of year that my parents and sister are guaranteed to be together. (Err, till I joined the police!)
It doesn't mean anything to me Jesus wise, just a nice family knees up and spending time with people you care about.
And chocolate.

Top Bottom