Is it easy to bypass the 15mph limit on E-bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering if this is a common thing in the E bike world. Don't intend to get an E-bike myself, literally just enquiring because I felt like it.

Also if I did get one of those E-bikes with a higher limit (28mph I think), would my motorcycle license and insurance cover it?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Yes
No

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It seems to be common going by the ebikes I've met on the Cambridge guided busway.

I doubt a motorcycle licence would cover you to ride what is effectively an illegal vehicle.
Interesting that, if a car licence covers you to drive an electric car one would think a full car or motorcycles licence would cover a bike.

Rather like an air rifle over the 12lb limit, legal to own if you have a firearms certificate.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Interesting that, if a car licence covers you to drive an electric car one would think a full car or motorcycles licence would cover a bike.

Rather like an air rifle over the 12lb limit, legal to own if you have a firearms certificate.

If it can either 15mph boost or post 2016 uses a throttle it then becomes an electric moped that requires all the type approval etc for it to become a legal vehicle.

Drago

Legendary Member
Very easy.

No, not without registering it, which involves modifying it to meet the SVA test requirements. Not impossible, but a horrendous task. You can buy E motorbikes anyway, so just buy one of those.

classic33

Leg End Member
Very easy.

No, not without registering it, which involves modifying it to meet the SVA test requirements. Not impossible, but a horrendous task. You can buy E motorbikes anyway, so just buy one of those.
SVA is now IVA.

Problem is registering a bicycle to get a licence plate so your insurance can consider covering it.

D

Deleted member 26715

SVA is now IVA.
Actually I think you're both wrong from motorcycles I believe it's a MSVA (not 100% sure though)

classic33

Leg End Member
Actually I think you're both wrong from motorcycles I believe it's a MSVA (not 100% sure though)
Would they be classed as motorbikes though?

Tried to get a cycle through the then SVA twice. First time I actually attended. But was told twice it wasn't covered by the test.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Very easy.

I see, its the registration thing. The bike sort of becomes a vehicle, and the vehicle itself needs to meet strict legal standards.

I've read about electric motorbikes, supposed to be amazing. You get pretty much maximum torque almost from the word go. A standard motorbike needs to be in a certain rev band. Better yet they need less maintenance due to fewer moving parts. I couldnt afford one tho.

I still prefer pure pedal power tho. Had some time off work recently and didnt even go near my motorbike. Last night I went for a nearly 50 miler on my Ceepo which was pretty bliss. Motoring aint for me anymore altho I used to really love it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Would they be classed as motorbikes though?

Tried to get a cycle through the then SVA twice. First time I actually attended. But was told twice it wasn't covered by the test.

Yes, it can be done. Some chap got a bicycle with a bolt on petrol engine through the MSVA (thanks Phaeton) test recently, although it took him a couple of attempts. I can't find the link, but IIRC the guys name was Ron if someone handier with Google than me wants to find it. A chap called Andy Kirby did it with an electric powered job (I remember him cos I went to school with an Andy Kirby, so its a memorable name).

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye laddie, he seemed pretty determined. I think he was successful in the end.

This chap got a bicycle through MSVA.
p7121236_resize.jpg

Top Bottom