Is it illegal to ride up the inside of cars at traffic lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You can filter up the inside if you don't cycle like a lunatic and always take it there may be a pedestrian hiding behind every car/van/bus/lorry.

The ped bolted across the road,(which is normal) but it looks like the car didn't touch and the ped slipped at the last moment.That's why the car didn't stop.

Only my assumption of the slow motion video off course,so,sorry.:whistle:

Yeah, it looks like that, the pedestrian did leap, but the car also hit him. I heard it, and also you can see that the ped's legs get knocked from under him, and his across the road vector gets some down the road vector added to it by the car impact. This is why he crashes into the front of the parked van.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No-one tutting my ped carnage knows how many miles of London rush hour I've ridden do they?

And I hazard have no idea how intensely ped rich some of the roads in Central London are, which goes back to my very first post, some on here here seem determined to take the bits they need to do their agenda while ignoring the bits that don.t suit them

And yes, all the peds I've been in collision with have been acting in a ludcirously idiotic manner, I've avoided thousands that brought at least their 50% to the situation

Having seen some of Ben's videos, he's no more careful than you are IMO. Holier than thou, but without justification.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Having seen some of Ben's videos, he's no more careful than you are IMO
Can you give me examples of videos of mine where you consider I risked hitting a pedestrian? I'm genuinely interested, as I aim to ride in a manner which would make that next to impossible. A link to videos where you think I'm failing in this aim would be appreciated.

Tynan

Veteran
Did he suggest that you do or did ride in such a manner? I think you're misassuming the point he's trying to make

CopperBrompton

Since the topic is pedestrian safety and he is suggesting I am no more careful than you, that is the obvious implication, yes. I will certainly review any videos where he thinks I risk collisions with pedestrians.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Here's an unrelated rider being less careful around pedestrians than I think is acceptable:

Definitely some careless peds in this video however I can't help thinking that a judicious deployment of a bell would have avoided most of those near misses.

From my own perspective as a pedestrian I much prefer it if a cyclist uses a bell to warn of their approach rather than just taking me by surprise. Especially on shared paths.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Definitely some careless peds in this video however I can't help thinking that a judicious deployment of a bell would have avoided most of those near misses.

From my own perspective as a pedestrian I much prefer it if a cyclist uses a bell to warn of their approach rather than just taking me by surprise. Especially on shared paths.

Just more application of brake and less impatience would have done me fine, no need for a bell in most of those situations.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Just more application of brake and less impatience would have done me fine, no need for a bell in most of those situations.
Fair point. We don't do ourselves any favours by riding around without giving concessions to other road users that we are famous for asking for ourselves. Cities and roads are by definition crowded places and we can't expect to be the only group allowed to ride exactly as we would wish. We would be appalled at a driver who was trying to get to work and beat his own personal best time and so on. I think we have to ride defensively where cars are concerned and where pedestrians are concerned.
The one incident in the vid that might have elicited a call of "Have a care" from me was the very last chap who was in the middle of the road completely engrossed in his phone. Even then I'd have been polite...Probably.

Tynan

Veteran
Since the topic is pedestrian safety and he is suggesting I am no more careful than you, that is the obvious implication, yes. I will certainly review any videos where he thinks I risk collisions with pedestrians.
ah but you are assuming that I'm an unsafe rider and from that assuming that he is suggesting you are one too

hence my suggestion that as he suggest that I'm safe then he isn't suggesting that you are unsafe

do you read my posts and try to understand them entirely?

CopperBrompton

ah but you are assuming that I'm an unsafe rider
Labels are subjective, but there is no assumption that you've collided with five or six pedestrians: you've told us as much. Mike claims there is video evidence of me risking collisions with pedestrians, and I've simply asked for the links and time-codes he has in mind so I can see whether there are lessons to be learned.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Labels are subjective, but there is no assumption that you've collided with five or six pedestrians: you've told us as much. Mike claims there is video evidence of me risking collisions with pedestrians, and I've simply asked for the links and time-codes he has in mind so I can see whether there are lessons to be learned.

LOL, I didn't say that at all. I said there was no evidence of you being more careful than Tynan. Tynan has understood exactly correctly.

You really really ought to take some comprehension lessons. Oh, and try to be less of a point scoring forum nasty on here. I'm sure you're a very decent fellow in real life, but it's not coming across in your posts.

Top Bottom