Is it just me - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I have a daily commute of about 23 miles round trip which takes in city streets, a bit of dual carriageway and rural roads. I enjoy the trip which generally takes around 45 mins to an hour each way, depending on route, weather, mood etc.. Occasionally I have to drive and last time I was in the car I thought 'This is a drudge, I'd rather cycling'. I think this gets down to the simple reasons that I can see and hear much more in the saddle, I can choose any of several routes back through the city to home, whearas in the car it's 'which queue do I try and avoid', but on the bike it's a case of deciding which queue shall I get the better of today - !:wahhey: I can go at whatever speed suits me at any given time without having some speed merchant up my arse.:cursing: And I can stop pretty much wherever I want to admire some wildlife, take in the view etc.. Yes, occasionally I get a bit wet / cold, but in my view that's a small price for the personal freedom that a bike gives you.:sun:

Drago

Legendary Member
Your not alone. Sometimes in too drive, and the comforts are nice but next day I'm still itching to get the bike out.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Driving my commute is really starting to wear me down. Constant traffic queues, alternative routes equally bad, the general standard of driving, a journey that used to take it under an hour now often taking two hours...
Unfortunately it's too far to cycle (for me) at 24 miles each way plus there are other factors that make it impractical any way so I'm stuck with it. :sad:
If I lived near enough the bike would be first choice every time.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It took me 30 minutes to drive 4 miles today (shopping with elderly mother) while police directed traffic up a road that they'd closed off at the other end, each vehicle having at least one row of seats and most were carrying unused 4-piece suites in their boxes and couldn't get past the empty roadside parked 4-piece suites. And when the only way out was a bike route, yes, I wished I was on a bike. But I'd had to take the bike out of the car to get the shopping in. And I had to take the bike because it's market day where I live and everybody needs to park their 4-piece suites on the estate where I live. When will they realise that it doesn't work?

400bhp

Guru
I've driven to work once since starting in my current job 2.5 years ago...on the first day to take in all my paraphernalia so I could cycle in.

Nuff said.

Driving is fiddle.

mustang1

Guru
I have a daily commute of about 23 miles round trip which takes in city streets, a bit of dual carriageway and rural roads. I enjoy the trip which generally takes around 45 mins to an hour each way, depending on route, weather, mood etc.. Occasionally I have to drive and last time I was in the car I thought 'This is a drudge, I'd rather cycling'. I think this gets down to the simple reasons that I can see and hear much more in the saddle, I can choose any of several routes back through the city to home, whearas in the car it's 'which queue do I try and avoid', but on the bike it's a case of deciding which queue shall I get the better of today - !:wahhey: I can go at whatever speed suits me at any given time without having some speed merchant up my arse.:cursing: And I can stop pretty much wherever I want to admire some wildlife, take in the view etc.. Yes, occasionally I get a bit wet / cold, but in my view that's a small price for the personal freedom that a bike gives you.:sun:
I have a similar length commute and also takes me similar time. How much time does it take you on the car?

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
have a similar length commute and also takes me similar time. How much time does it take you on the car
Usually about 20 - 25 minutes, but can take rather longer. What is odd that although I usually leave around the same time, the length of any given queue within the city limits appears to be irrelevant to any particular day or the time of day anyway. Recently it took me about an hour to get home in the car and was I thinking 'Grr,:cursing: so much better on the bike' or what - !

steve keay

Über Member
I only have a short commute but I prefer the bike, I find it chills me out before work and helps me wind down after a hard day. The other week I was on nights and I was taking the long way home. lovely when the roads are so quiet .

Wolf616

Über Member
I wish my 3 mile each way commute was longer on a regular basis. Unfortunately I'm likely to rue not being careful what I wish for as in December I'm going to have to move house again (the joys of private renting!) and will most likely end up 10-14 miles away from where I work. Not sure yet whether this is a blessing or if the amount I have to spend on additional food will negate the cost saving benefits of cycling instead of using the tube

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Took us about 30 minutes to get home from the bloody supermarket this afternoon... 1 farkin mile. Someone did roadworks. Hateful....

Turned the tunes up, but you could hear folk getting ratty, honking, driving like loons. Tunes were good !!!

I'll stick with my bike.

Top Bottom