is it just me??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
Hi Webber, and welcome.
Congratulations, you've discovered the most important thing about a bike:
it always puts a smile on my face
. Nothing else matters at all, so just enjoy it, whatever make/model/age/style it is!

Alan O

Über Member
hi all first post so bear with me do we as cyclist (people) try to pigeon hole everything ive got a few bike always room for more (as long as we don't tell the wife lol)and I buy mine on what it is rather then who made it and ive got a pashley clubman 3 speed fixed hub that ive been riding a lot lately now when I bought it (30% off) I bought it for the fixed sturmey and the looks don't we all but all I keep reading is that its for hipsters and not very well thought out now I think its a great bike and ive had a few (bikes that is) I no there marketed at people who are not likely to do more then the odd loop of hide park but its really well made I quite like the hub brake and it always puts a smile on my face so if it was made by a different firm would people look at it differently I wonder anyway would love to hear your thoughts
Hi webber, and welcome :cheers:

People often have all kinds of strange ideas about what makes a "proper" or "serious" bike, and one thing I like about this forum is that it attracts a wide range of people riding all sorts of different bikes.

I mostly ride a drop-bar touring bike and a mountain bike, both with derailleur gears, but the idea of a traditional roadster is becoming increasingly appealing - last time I was in my local bike shop, it wasn't the featherweight carbon marvels I was attracted to, it was the Pashley Roadster they had on display. I really like the idea of hub brakes and gears, and the "just get on and ride" simplicity.

And your Pashley Clubman - in my view it's one elegant looking bike, and you should enjoy riding it and not listen to any naysayers :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
And your Pashley Clubman - in my view it's one elegant looking bike, and you should enjoy riding it and not listen to any naysayers :okay:

I agree completely, it's a very nice looking machine if finished in a traditional colour. They even have a lugged frame and "proper" forks, not MTB-style Unicrowns!. These are exactly the sorts of bikes amateur enthusiast cyclists would have been riding at weekends back in the 1940's and 1950s, before derailleurs took over and hub gear bikes were relegated to commuting utilities.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Enjoy riding your bike - it's as simple as that. :okay:

Normally I would agree with you, but even a cast iron step through ladies bike with a net to stop the dress getting caught in the spokes, a full chain guard and a large size wicker basket on the front and only 3 speed sturmy-archer gearing, even something as generally pedestrian as that can be made to move really quite fast!

For quite a while, my fastest time over a particular segment was riding Mrs ND's Apollo Elyse (which admittedly had more than 3-gears, but which was a hefty lump of a step through, with chain guard and basket) back from the bike shop. Possibly I was so fast as it was pouring with rain, possibly it was because I didn't want anyone to see me ;) but the fastest time lasted several months before I made a deliberate trip to beat it...:laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Possibly I was so fast as it was pouring with rain, possibly it was because I didn't want anyone to see me ;) but the fastest time lasted several months before I made a deliberate trip to beat it...:laugh:

That sounds like when I was about 15 and round my mate's house. He suggested a spontaneous ride out somewhere, neglecting to take into account I had walked to his house and my bike was still at home. When I pointed this out he said "that's OK, you can take my mum's bike" - which IIRC was a Dawes KIngpin and of course it had the obligatory basket on the front. I felt a right lemon pedalling that around and got a few funny looks I could have done without. Made me appreciate how big wheel bikes roll much easier than small wheel ones though. I was sweating trying to keep up with his steel racer.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi Webber and welcome to Cycle Chat!!
Cycling is all about the enjoyment and you should ride whatever bike that makes you happy. You could spend a lot of money on a bike that may not feel as half as good as a cheap none trendy machine. Cycling is all down to personal tastes, and whatever bike you ride just so long your happy with it ,and its safe ,that's the only rule in my book to see another cyclist enjoying there ride:-) :-)
All the best.
Johnny

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I just love seeing people riding bikes and chatting when I can. The bike, their speed, their physical size, doesn't matter. Ride and enjoy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@webber welcome to the velodrome.

Clubman is a nice, somewhat niche, bike, I was looking (again) at the Guv'nor a few weeks ago and spotter the Clubman. Thing is, both are bikes that make statements, very clear statements, and folk may respond accordingly. I'd happily own either. or both. And ride them for miles. Thing is, as @User would have it, idiosyncrasy is a bit of thing with me. ;)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum @webber . I think you’ve got a point, a lot of people tend to be a bit sniffy over names. When I was a kid my mates and I all derided those that had Sturmy Archer gears, they were just nowhere. That chubby boy who lived next to the park, he’s got them. Now they’ve become rather cool, what with their minimalist appeal and low maintenance. Now, is that down to marketing or an acceptance that they’re shown to be very practical over a number of decades. I must admit I’m a sucker for the old skool names like Campagnolo, Cinelli, Holdsworth etc, even if they are now made in the Far East.

How’s about a pic of the Clubman?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
neither of those points make it a ladies bike
images-2.jpg

images-1.jpg

Top Bottom