Is it "lumpy" where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

As per the title, is it very hilly where you are??

Living in Devon this is the norm to me, but apparently here and Cornwall is the hilliest part of the country, apart from parts of Yorkshire I am led to believe. Having completed LEJOG with BOAB last year, this did appear to be true. What`s it like where you live??

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Deceptively rolling is how I would describe it. We have no 'proper hills' unless you count Gas Hill where the Gas Hill Gasp is run annually. People think that its as flat as a pancake here but it's not. Flat as a pancake is Lincolnshire, not Norfolk.

Sara_H

Guru
I live in Sheffield which is very lumpy.

The advantage of this is that when I ride elsewhere in the world, it's usually easier than riding at home.

Very good for the heart and lungs too, though I spend a lot on brake pads.

lol I too was one of those people who thought Norfolk was flat, but then I am from Yorkshire. Here (Northants) its a bit strange because its not exactly hilly (although there are hills over 200m) but its not flat, you are forever ascending, descending and then only to ascend again but its nothing like Yorkshire. I have cycled to Lincoln from Doncaster, you're right it was flat apart from one big hill en route.

PS: I used to love cycling up to Penistone and Bolsterstone.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
We have a choice of flat or very hilly terrain here. Two of my local regular climbs have been used for the National Hill Climb Championships. There are short hard 30% plus climbs and longer draggy climbs upto 7 miles long. Love it. ^_^

outlash

also available in orange
In a word, no. I live In St. Neots, Cambs where you could plot a route that does about 200 - 300 feet of climbing in 50 miles. It does get a little lumpier depending in which direction you go but you'd struggle to get 1,500 feet in the same distance.

I'll be up in Grasington over the grand depart weekend and it's a little different up there ;).

Tony.

Jason.T

Very lumpy in west wales, it's about an avarage of 1000ft of climbing for every 10 miles no matter which direction you ride

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've got the Quantock Hills, Brendon Hills, Exmoor and the Blackdown Hills on my doorstep so plenty of lumps to feed the chocolate and cake habit.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As I don't like hills I wouldn't want to live anywhere hillier, I have been known to get off and push, but I'm aware it isn't the hilliest place in the UK.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Very lumpy. The foothills of the cambrian mountains. Say no more I think. I hate bloomin hills.

Top Bottom