Is it me, or the folks I ride with, that a bike needs to meet the purpose it's for - not silly money ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Exactly, but they are just going to get trashed - they aren't going to make you faster.
But does that matter, all these things are relative, you mention a £5K bike, I could never comprehend paying that much for a bike, but we know people pay far more than that.

My boss is a multi-millionaire, the last I heard a few years ago when we were talking was he could spent £1100 a day for the rest of his life & not touch any of his assets/collateral, when you have that kind of money would you care if something cost £200 or £2000 if you liked the look of them?

Jameshow

Veteran
But does that matter, all these things are relative, you mention a £5K bike, I could never comprehend paying that much for a bike, but we know people pay far more than that.

My boss is a multi-millionaire, the last I heard a few years ago when we were talking was he could spent £1100 a day for the rest of his life & not touch any of his assets/collateral, when you have that kind of money would you care if something cost £200 or £2000 if you liked the look of them?

Please stop revealing my personal details ...!🤣🤣

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I too like to ride nice things , they bring me happiness and are worth all the effort needed to afford and acquire them . Sadly most threads asking about nice things are filled with "no one needs" or "deserves" anything like that from the same posters over and over again, a bit pathetic really.

I think you're potentially attacking it from the wrong angle in assuming the attitude towards those asking such questions is bourne of envy / resentment; while the other side of the coin is one of consideration for the asker, since such high-price products usually represent poor value for money and seem specifically created to separate funds from those who don't understand (or granted care) of said poor value for money.

You'd not recommend a bike in good faith that was known for, say prone to catastrophic frame failure as this is clearly a down-side of that model. Just as for many of us atrocious value for money is also a down side of some bikes; and will advise others accordingly.

mustang1

Guru
I tried a mares before I bought my van nic, I didn’t like it but then again I didn’t like the other carbon bikes I tried, however the practicality of it wasn’t lost on me and it was a great price!

Yeah it was a good price. I got mine years ago; I took my allez in for a service and saw the Mares sitting there on discount so I bought it after a quick ride.

I found it to be better on road than the Tricross, it's gearing and geometry were better.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I think you're potentially attacking it from the wrong angle in assuming the attitude towards those asking such questions is bourne of envy / resentment; while the other side of the coin is one of consideration for the asker, since such high-price products usually represent poor value for money and seem specifically created to separate funds from those who don't understand (or granted care) of said poor value for money.

You'd not recommend a bike in good faith that was known for, say prone to catastrophic frame failure as this is clearly a down-side of that model. Just as for many of us atrocious value for money is also a down side of some bikes; and will advise others accordingly.

If that was the kind of comment that got posted there wouldn't be any complaints .

One place I worked at had a visit from a member of the family that owned the holding company of mine and very many others. He was in from Korea IIRC. My immediate boss whispered to me after he'd passed by "I bet you've never met a billionaire before!" I still haven't! He walked straight through into the MD's office and ignored everyone else. That was well over 20 years ago possibly nearer 30 so not as many of them around. Apparently that guy's family had a few billionaires in it too. Something to do with being the family that owned one of the biggest shipbuilding and more conglomerates. Those huge, multidisciplinary companies South East Asia do so well.

I reckon he had bike building interests but doubt he had time to ride anything like a bike.

One day I was struggling in the traffic through Ambleside behind a car carrying bikes on its roof. It was the Whitton weekend.. so far nothing unusual. Except he had a porsche 911 convertible I believe. His bikes pretty much matched his car in terms of relative cost. Only one guy so I think he had two bikes to choose from for the sportive. I didn't realise you could get roof bars for high end porsche cars.

Jameshow

Veteran
I know a family who own 3-4 nursing home, drive nice cars must be millionaires, but the homes are the best in the business and I'd prefer it that way rather than the home down the road rated inadequate!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
welcome to capitalism :okay:

it's sh!t system that will exploit every last penny out of us, but it's the only system we've got. :blush:

Yeah, just irritates me how those with the least conscience or awareness push everything to the limit to everyones' detriment. I'm not necessarily against capitalism / an economy that's predicated on the sale of goods and services for Fiat currency.. however when any semblence of responsibility is lost in the unchecked pursuit of profit above all else, it becomes a horrible, self-destructive situation :sad:

There's also the question of where all that money has come from that some individuals are lucky enough to be able to squander- chances are it's not been made through careful, considerate and compassionate treatment of others / the environment..

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

If someone came on here and actually asked which of two bikes represented better value for money then that would be true. But that's generally not the case.

These discussions, which crop up on here all the time, are not more generally out of resentment at other people are splashing their own cash on things they don't need/deserve.

Top Bottom