Is it me, or the folks I ride with, that a bike needs to meet the purpose it's for - not silly money ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Cool thread, I hadn't spotted it until now as I've been out riding my sh1t3 bikes past people most of the long sunny weekend. Glad I did spot it though, reminds me why I prefer riding my bikes for real rather than spending too much time in here just talking about riding them.....
It's all great having the latest and greatest, but the fastest riders I know just get on with it - normal kit, mid range that you can actually afford to replace if you break it.

And by the way Fossy, the riders you ride with are p'eed off with your lack of suitable speed and sub-standard kit! Sort it out will you? :tongue:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Thread locked until we get time to clean out the OT bickering.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I that case I should be doing about 30 mph on the flat 🤔

Apparently filthy dirty bikes are the fastest, that's why I can't keep up with @I like Skol :whistle:

I'll have to get my bike filthy !

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What the OP and others need to remember that on cyclechat cycling is something to be endured on substandard equipment , in the same way medieval monks used to use pain as worship.
Anyone who does otherwise is obvious a fool with more money than sense and is a substandard rider.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

What the OP and others need to remember that on cyclechat cycling is something to be endured on substandard equipment , in the same way medieval monks used to use pain as worship.
Anyone who does otherwise is obvious a fool with more money than sense and is a substandard rider.

None of my bikes are substandard, all do the job (Dura Ace, Ultegra XT, 105, SRAM x9).

My original question was why buy some mega expensive wheels, for just gravel, where Aero us unlikely to be not needed, and the gravel is going to trash them.

I do have aero wheels - were very expensive, but I used them for racing

FishFright

More wheels than sense
None of my bikes are substandard, all do the job (Dura Ace, Ultegra XT, 105, SRAM x9).

My original question was why buy some mega expensive wheels, for just gravel, where Aero us unlikely to be not needed, and the gravel is going to trash them.

I do have aero wheels - were very expensive, but I used them for racing

I too like to ride nice things , they bring me happiness and are worth all the effort needed to afford and acquire them . Sadly most threads asking about nice things are filled with "no one needs" or "deserves" anything like that from the same posters over and over again, a bit pathetic really.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I too like to ride nice things , they bring me happiness and are worth all the effort needed to afford and acquire them . Sadly most threads asking about nice things are filled with "no one needs" or "deserves" anything like that from the same posters over and over again, a bit pathetic really.

It's more about suitability for purpose, but if someone is prepared to pay mega money for a part, then so be it when it brakes. I winced when I saw the cost of my Dura Ace 30 years ago, and opted not to upgrade to STI's as the replacement cost was incredible, and I was racing. Most road races were done on Ultegra/600 equipped bike, with TT's on the best bike.

Like you don't commute on a £5k bike, not just theft, but likelihood of accident, and definitely wear and tear - chain rings aren't cheap, nor are cassettes. I'm of the mindset you buy good, but parts you can afford to replace (assuming people are actually riding the bikes).

Top Bottom