Is it me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Neither you did. Sorry.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
As far back as I can remember Saturday night TV has been rubbish. The only exceptions to this was in the 1970s when I remember I got to stay up 'late' to watch American cop shows like Starsky and Hutch, Kojak, and the Rockford Files. And 'Saturday Night at the Movies'...but even that was a bit hit and miss.

Summertime Special must be the forerunner to today's Saturday night 'entertainment'....:rolleyes:

Aye, I remember when it was Dr Who (though I often used to switch over to watch Six Million Dollar Man), Generation Game with Brucie and Anthea Turner, something else quite good, and The Duchess of Duke Street (which my mum liked but I thought was alright).

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Back to the OP, it is an insideous use of media targetting the young and vulnerable (children with NO musical taste) play week in week out the same DIRE pop music, and sit back and watch the tills ring when the 'winner' gets a record contract.

Me?

Jaded?

Whatever gave you that impression?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
X Faketor what's that?

No, Postman it's not you.

Slighly off topic, I was watching "Rivers" with Griff Rhys-Jones (Sunday night BBC1).

Entertaining, and I learnt something about canoes, paddle boats, rivers, boats, bridges etc.

Completely off topic - if you have the right channels, I have been watching Wallender, (BBC4) in Swedish, with subtitles. I normal strenously avoid sub-titles, but Wallender in Swedish is excellent. (MIght be too slow a pace for some people :rolleyes: )

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I quite enjoy X-factor. It's one of the few things which the whole family watches. OK, it's lightweight and contrived, but it's alo amusing, enlightening and often cringeing. I could suggest we turn off the telly and read excerpts from James Joyce but there's not much appetite for that. X-tra factor is too much though.

Wallender is fantastic and occasionally I remember some of the Swedish I learned.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Fab Foodie said:
Wallender is fantastic and occasionally I remember some of the Swedish I learned.

I thought it was great too (shame there were only three), reminded me that when he's on form Kenneth Branagh is a very good actor. Lovely scenery too - Sweden has some very nice countryside.

X-Facturd is rubbish BTW

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
threebikesmcginty said:
I thought it was great too (shame there were only three), reminded me that when he's on form Kenneth Branagh is a very good actor. Lovely scenery too - Sweden has some very nice countryside.

X-Facturd is rubbish BTW

There are 2 versions of Wallander, the Kenneth Branagh version which is cool (shot close to where I lived in Skane, and the original Swedish version version which is even better... in fact bloody excellent.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Uncle Mort said:
Yes, the one where he made that cheese sandwich was particularly rivetting. To the very end I thought he was going to put a bit of tomato on it.

Had to fetch a cloth after choking on my tea Uncle Mort... wonderful!:ohmy:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
As previously mentionned, I usually avoid sub-titled programmes. Whoever does the titles for this one, does it in an excellent way. Fortunately the action lends itself well to subtitles, but it did take a few episodes to get the hang of it. Tak!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Speicher said:
Fortunately the action lends itself well to subtitles...Tak!

Is it even slower than Kenneth B's action [wonderful advert for SAAB though....]

Spok!

[Edit: sorry Speicher- just teasing we like it too! :ohmy:]

PaulB

Legendary Member
Football first is on at 8 o'clock so Saturday night isn't the deserted wasteland some of us would have us think. As for X-factor, they should re-name it "My name's Simon and look how big and clever I am and look at all my money and power." It's cruel the way they laugh at the mentally ill and they laud people with minimal talent. How many actual winners have made anything of themselves and the deluded come on and reckon it's going to change their lives. I bet you couldn't get a credit card based on being the winner most years so it's so it clearly illustrates the paucity of available talent in Britain at present. A bit depressing, really and these auditions are the best part. Once they go on to the rounds, that is totally depressing. Or it would be for anyone sitting through it.

Top Bottom