Is it normal to feel sick after a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Is it normal to feel sick after a ride?

I got up at 5:30 this morning, had cereal and drink, set off on my ride, did around 10miles and when I came back, I felt sick for some reason. I'm just wondering if this is normal? I've done around 4 rides so far, and each one I've felt sick afterwards.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Exercise related - the answer is no - unless you are doing 'hitt'.
Maybe you aint a morning person..

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i say try not eating so much before hand. i only eay a biscuit or something of that size before i go on a ride, and genreally eat during (something light) or after i have finished.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
There is some justification in the theory that heart attack incidence is higher in early morning,, and with exercise, heart rate spiking should be avoided if at all possible.

blazed

220lb+
Are you cycling for training purposes? Its not uncommon to feel sick after a workout if you are pushing yourself hard enough each time. Or it could just be because you are eating too much and going out to soon afterwards, i go out in the mornings on an empty stomach, if you eat the right food the night before and you should be fine.

I wouldnt worry about having a heart attack from morning training not if you're healthy anyway.

nickp

I felt the same way after my first couple of rides, i just put it down to being extremely unfit.

I still get a headache after tackling the big hill home:sad:

Maizie

Guru
nickp said:
I felt the same way after my first couple of rides, i just put it down to being extremely unfit.

I still get a headache after tackling the big hill home:sad:

I agree. I do eat breakfast before my commute to work - I am non-functional until I've eaten, so eating later is not an option for me. I generally don't feel sick though, never have, but then again when I was a beginner I was very much pootling not pushing...
There's still a steep bit about half a mile from work, where I have to push really really really really hard and when I get to the top I sometimes feel a bit like I really need to stop and get some breath back if I don't want to throw up. Never actually have been sick though (never actually have stopped either, despite telling myself every commute that I can get off and walk up it if I need to!)

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you feel sick just after eating it's indigestion; stomach acid is coming up your aesophagus. Just neck one of these before riding:

150.jpg

HobbesChoice

I always feel sick when cycling or doing any strenous exercise and I found this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_induced_nausea

For me it's over exerting as I sadly compete with myself in trying to beat best times, lift heavier weights, do more reps etc, although for you it could also be to do with you eating right before. From all accounts though it's nothing to worry about.

scaryant

As a couple other people have pointed out, often people feel sick after training because they have eaten beforehand and then heavily exerted themselves - lots of carbs right before you train can have this effect.

Reduce the food intake if you must eat before you ride, either portion size or maybe have a couple of slices of wholegrain/wholemeal toast and a coffee - don't go out on a full stomach, eat slow and stop before you feel full. Also eat 30 minutes (minimum) before you ride, giving yourself that 30 minutes to digest the food a little which will give you that energy you feel you need to train.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think its wise to wind down from a ride rather than stop abruptly.I tend to pootle along for the last half mile or so .

Bodhbh

Guru
The first few commutes hammering in after Christmas (2wks boozing, not much exercise) made me feel pretty sick, but it passed after I got used to it again.

Top Bottom