Is it possible for a track pump to wear out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I have been using the track pump below since last summer, very regularly. Bought it from Amazon as it had 4.5 stars over some 1650 reviews.

50048471032_91ae6c286a_z.jpg

I only use the presta valve, and despite using it to check tyre pressures and adjust regularly, today it was not to be. Woke up at 5:30am to get out for my daily ride, went to adjust the tyres pressures and anything above 80 psi and the pump valve head just hissed :blink: Its never done this so I made several attempts at re-doing it on both wheels with no luck. After 15 minutes I was totalled :pump::surrender: (So i resorted to the mini pump and guessed the pressure, only to find on the ride it was quite a bit lower than 100psi which is my norm.)

So can the head of such a pump wear out? If so, how long long do such pumps typically last?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
New seals needed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, they can age and wear. That said, I've an identical pump, albeit with a different brand name, and it's been providing good service for 2 decades.

Reactions: DSK

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Except for campagnolo geartrains, which wear in.
Long time since I heard that one and I agree!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, they do wear out. For weeks I was having problems inflating my tyres before each ride - more of a pressure check.

Then I had to have new tyres, tubeless, a d replaced the valve cores at the same time. I still had trouble inflating but had effectively eliminated other potential causes. Bought a new track pump and all is good.

I think whatever goes on inside the nozzle has worn out after years of use. It doesn't seem to fit securely anymore or push the valve core in.

Reactions: DSK

Brandane

Legendary Member
With Joe Blow pumps you can buy a complete new head or, I think, a new seal kit.
Yes; I have just replaced the head on mine for £10.
Tip of the day - dismantle the head and lubricate seals with red rubber grease before re-assembling. It makes sliding the head onto the valve smoother and in my head (!!) gives a better seal. Operation of the locking lever is also smoother, and it might even prolong the lives of the seals.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My track pump zefal hp double shot is 25 + years old ,great pump still going strong. The head it came with lasted months , I am now on replacement no 6 ? ,a BBB one from ebay. I view them as almost a consumable item. Yes in an ideal world you would buy a repair kit , but as with so many things now ,if repair kits are made , they are more expensive than a complete replacement.(throw away world rant over)

Top Bottom