Is it possible to get rid of all chain rub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotal

Regular
I've just put the new tiagra components on the my frame but can't quite get the derailleurs setup perfectly to avoid all chain rub.

I have the rear setup nicely and all seems to be working well on the rear. However the front is being more of a pain.

I have the 1mm gap set correctly above the largest chain ring. I have the limit screws set correctly so it can't go too far. I can use the barrel adjuster to fine tune it one way or the other but it seems to be a choice. I can either get the top gear working properly or the bottom one but not both at the same time!

It is a 50/34 and an 11-34.

At the moment it is set so 50 - 11 works perfectly but 50 - 34 rubs (I can live with that as I try to avoid crossing the chain too much). However 34 - 34 also rubs.

Any tips or is it just one of those things?

I use front triples - demanding when it comes to chain rub.
Simple solution - flat bar, use a left clickable rapidfire with a trim click - end of problem.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just put the new tiagra components on the my frame but can't quite get the derailleurs setup perfectly to avoid all chain rub.

I have the rear setup nicely and all seems to be working well on the rear. However the front is being more of a pain.

I have the 1mm gap set correctly above the largest chain ring. I have the limit screws set correctly so it can't go too far. I can use the barrel adjuster to fine tune it one way or the other but it seems to be a choice. I can either get the top gear working properly or the bottom one but not both at the same time!

It is a 50/34 and an 11-34.

At the moment it is set so 50 - 11 works perfectly but 50 - 34 rubs (I can live with that as I try to avoid crossing the chain too much). However 34 - 34 also rubs.

Any tips or is it just one of those things?
Some 'posher' shifter levers use a 'trim' function to get around that but they're really not gear combinations you should be using

OP
OP
S

sotal

Regular
Yes I realise the big to big shouldn't be used but if I get the big chain ring working nicely with the little cassette ring, then the little chain ring to big cassette ring rubs. As that will be my panic gear to get up hills surely it should work with that one?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think you should be able to but it might depend on the dimensions of the frame, particularly chainstay length. I certainly could on my 2x9 Sora as I remember cross chaining it all the way home once just to prove a point on here. I think I can on my 11sp Chorus and Athena setups but I'm not 100% sure. Campagnolo has lovely ratchety trimmy action though.

OP
OP
S

sotal

Regular
I've just taken it for the first test ride.

Pretty impressed with the gears to be honest.

I've been up and down them multiple times with no missed gears.

The lowest gear didn't have any audible chain rub when riding. On that side of the derailleur there is a price of plastic it rubs on rather than metal so I'm not sure if I just can't hear it out if it isn't doing it. Either way that great is going to get very little use so I'm not worried there.

Cross chain, it is just the extreme gear that rubs on either big to small or small to big, so happy with that as it acts as a reminder that I should have shifted.

It is early days but the double seems to suit my riding style so far.

1 job left to do is the bar tape.

3 things, that I found on the test ride that I need to sort...

1. A tappety clunk from the front when going over little bumps at speed. (I think the headset may need tightening slightly)

2. The front right shifter kept getting further away from me, need to tighten the clamp!

3. When braking with the front brake, there is a dit noise every revolution, I'd forgotten that it did this on the last ride out before the strip down. So must be an imperfection on the rim. Will rub that down.

The extremely annoying creak that I've lived with for years seems to have gone! I'm presuming it was the BB.

All in all very happy!

OP
OP
S

sotal

Regular
Well here is problem number 3...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A bit of emery paper will sort that.

Top Bottom