Is it possible to live without a Bank account?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Without necessarily discussing any individuals, as that would likely end up in the Other Place, is it possible to live/survive without a Bank account?

Personally, I doubt I could.

Buying stuff, most shops take cash, but online purchases would not be as easy.

State Pension, yes, I could collect it from the Post Office.
Three other pensions, I have no idea how I'd be able to receive them.
Wages for the few days I do work, I don't know as it's all done vi's BACS as are most companies, I guess.

Punkawallah

Über Member

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Without necessarily discussing any individuals, as that would likely end up in the Other Place, is it possible to live/survive without a Bank account?

Personally, I doubt I could.

State Pension, yes, I could collect it from the Post Office.
Three other pensions, I have no idea how I'd be able to receive them.
Wages for the few days I do work, I don't know as it's all done vi's BACS as are most companies, I guess.

Pretty sure it would be almost impossible to live a normal life without one.

The UK has quite a low percentage of the population who don’t have a bank account, sitting in 34th in the world with around 4%. A number of those will be a consequence of having banking services withdrawn due to an extremely poor credit history or being very low paid.

One of the less obvious problems for such people is that they face higher costs for services where the best pricing us available for those who set up a direct debit.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Increasingly more and more shops don't take cash. Unless you're paid "cash in hand" I doubt many employers would pay you other than into an account of some sort.

The difficulty of getting a bank account without a fixed address is a very real problem for people who are homeless or vulnerably homed.

This refusal of cash really peeves me!

On the other side of this, I know of several places that only take cash.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

You don’t need to buy “stuff” online

tom73

Guru
Increasingly more and more shops don't take cash. Unless you're paid "cash in hand" I doubt many employers would pay you other than into an account of some sort.

The difficulty of getting a bank account without a fixed address is a very real problem for people who are homeless or vulnerably homed.

The cooperative bank set up an account for just that a good few years ago they also do prison accounts. They are or use to be the only bank to do both. Even if you do already have a normal high street account accessing it in prison it's very complex and takes months.

Alex321

Veteran
The UK has quite a low percentage of the population who don’t have a bank account, sitting in 34th in the world with around 4%. A number of those will be a consequence of having banking services withdrawn due to an extremely poor credit history or being very low paid.

One of the less obvious problems for such people is that they face higher costs for services where the best pricing us available for those who set up a direct debit.

Isn't everybody entitled by law to a basic bank account nowadays regardless of credit history or pay?

You do need proof of ID and address, so homeless people can't get one.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
In theory you could, but you'd have to be self sufficient and probably live in a cave or something, or be homeless, unless everything was somehow provided for you (I don't mean being a kid).

What do these people who 'live off the grid' do?

Last edited:
Isn't everybody entitled by law to a basic bank account nowadays regardless of credit history or pay?
From the Citizens Advice website.

“ If you're bankrupt or have a record of fraud, you will not usually be allowed to open a bank account. Also, you may be refused permission to open a current account if you have a poor credit rating. However, if you're bankrupt or have a poor credit rating, you may be able to open a basic bank account.”

‘May be able’ isn’t a guarantee.

Alex321

Veteran
This refusal of cash really peeves me!

On the other side of this, I know of several places that only take cash.

I can only think of one place reasonably local to me that only takes cash - a beachside café in Llantwit Major.

Even the temporary sites such as festivals or Sealed Knot musters, the vendors pretty well all take cards.

I was slightly surprised a few weeks ago on holiday in Greece to find that even the smallest shops I went into, in quite rural areas, took cards and contactless.

Top Bottom