Is it possible to live without a Bank account?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
From the Citizens Advice website.

“ If you're bankrupt or have a record of fraud, you will not usually be allowed to open a bank account. Also, you may be refused permission to open a current account if you have a poor credit rating. However, if you're bankrupt or have a poor credit rating, you may be able to open a basic bank account.”

‘May be able’ isn’t a guarantee.

No, but the main reason they can refuse you is if you can't provide proof of ID or Address, or you are eligible for a "normal" bank account with them.

There are a few other reasons they may refuse, such as Fraud or illegal immigrants, and that is why it is "may" - they aren't going to list indetail the possibilities on that website.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/2038/part/4/made

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even small traders in Manchester are card only in many places - much safer for them not having cash about. I sometimes carry cash, 'just in case', but I think I've a £10 note in my wallet that's not moved in ages ! I have £10 tucked in one of my cycling rucksacks too (somewhere).

I've even gone all 21st century and can pay on my watch now !

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My local Chippy only takes cash. It's next door to the Tesco cashpoint, though.. But, obviously, if you don't have a Bank account, you can't use it.
My local Ironmnger is Cash Only, too.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You cannot get fuel for a vehicle here unless you have a card account with more than £100 as the pumps have been converted. No means of paying cash.
The machine takes £100 from your account before you can refuel and then charges for the fuel before refunding the £100. I assume if you have not enough in the account it takes the payment from the £100.
This is the only refuelling point in town.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You cannot get fuel for a vehicle here unless you have a card account with more than £100 as the pumps have been converted. No means of paying cash.
The machine takes £100 from your account before you can refuel and then charges for the fuel before refunding the £100. I assume if you have not enough in the account it takes the payment from the £100.

So presumably anyone hard up that's waiting on their pay going in at the end of the month has had it then? I remember the days of being down to very little left in my account and only going in for a tenner's worth at the end of a month.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Not the way card authorisation works. The first bit is usually just a pre authorisation check. Funds aren’t actually taken till after the fuelling.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
In this day and age no, I wouldn't have thought so. Maybe for an older person who has never had one, and sort of lived off the radar and only done cash in hand work. I wouldn't want to anyway; the benefits far outweigh the negatives

Top Bottom