Is it possible to live without a Bank account?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Because the law sets out the very limited grounds on which they may refuse a basic account.
"
22.—(1) A designated credit institution must offer a payment account with basic features to any consumer who—
(a)applies for a payment account with basic features on or after 18th September 2016; and
(b)meets the eligibility criteria set out in regulation 23."

Do you know the law was around 2009?

Asking as I was refused a basic bank account by HSBC around that time, I was in debt and opening a basic account to deal with wages, bills etc whilst paying off the near £5k overdraft I'd ran up on my main account until then. I was a bit annoyed at the time but I got same type of account with Barclays in the end.

Well yes but you'd be restricted on what you can do, cash only transactions are common still in trade I think (my boiler was cash only, window cleaner is the same). But as an unscientific test my change jars (coppers, shrapnel et ) haven't been emptied in years, i just don't use cash for much anymore.

What petrol station is it? Tesco check the £100 is available and it shows as pending but not debited, only the actual amount. Maybe other petrol supply companies are different (and it's nothing to do with the bank).

I'm off to Austria tomorrow, taking plenty of cash, was always a very backwards country when it came to accepting bank cards outside the big cities especially, maybe Covid has changed things and I'll come home with loads of Euros (well I may not as I'm sure I can still spend them on cake)!

Cash is king in Austria. Take lots, and then some more. It's also the only place where I have seen €100 notes. You also have to pay to use cashpoints.

vickster

Legendary Member

Asking as I was refused a basic bank account by HSBC around that time, I was in debt and opening a basic account to deal with wages, bills etc whilst paying off the near £5k overdraft I'd ran up on my main account until then. I was a bit annoyed at the time but I got same type of account with Barclays in the end.

Well yes but you'd be restricted on what you can do, cash only transactions are common still in trade I think (my boiler was cash only, window cleaner is the same). But as an unscientific test my change jars (coppers, shrapnel et ) haven't been emptied in years, i just don't use cash for much anymore.

Nothing like cash in hand tax avoidance. Did you get an invoice at least for the boiler in case of a warranty claim?
I pay the window cleaner cash, only because I ran out of cheques!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Nothing like cash in hand tax avoidance. Did you get an invoice at least for the boiler in case of a warranty claim?

I had the same with my carpet fitter. He said it was £90 cash or £120 if I wanted an invoice and BACs him. I would not entertain paying cash for anything that can "go wrong" or cause issues, unless I was issues with an invoice

The boiler is fully covered and registered with Baxi, I phoned them a short time later and it's legit. 10 year warranty so long as I get it serviced annually. Chatting to the boiler guy he'd lost a lot of money due to some banking incompetence so he doesn't trust banks, I believe he's genuine as the envelope I gave him with cash he didn't even open or count. :okay:

Window cleaner is a relatives, I think as he deals with a lot of older folks and they'd rather leave cash. Though he forgot to do them last time d'oh!

Chequebook related I did have to get a paying in book recently, someone sent me a cheque and my bank app wouldn't read it. Paid it in at the post office but had to wait a while for the book to arrive.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Only if your name is John Wick.

Or Jack Reacher!

[someone} has had his bank account closed for no reason whatsoever

Nobody gets their bank account closed ‘for no reason whatsoever’. They probably aren’t too keen on sharing the bank’s explanation though.

Alex321

Veteran

No, the law was introduced in 2015. There had been a voluntary agreement for a year or so before the law was introduced.

presta

Guru
The last time I topped up my wallet with cash was just before I last went on holiday four years ago. I ought to put some of it back in the bank really, because I've only used £40 of it since then. I haven't carried loose change in 25-30 years, because it wears holes in your pockets.

presta

Guru
my change jars (coppers, shrapnel et ) haven't been emptied in years, i just don't use cash for much anymore

I used some change for the photocopier in the library today for the first time in ages, but unless I know I'm going to need some it stays at home in a tray in the cupboard. The least I've paid for on the credit card was an occasion when I bought a few items at Tesco, then swiped some vouchers, and the balance came to.....one penny.

Gunk

Guru
I sold a bike on Facebook recently, so unusually had a wallet full of cash, most coffee shops no longer take it, so it’s not as easy to spend cash as it used to be. If do hand over a tenner they fuss and fart about looking for change, and everyone in the queue looks at you as if you’re some sort of looser. I ended using it to fill the car up with Diesel.

Top Bottom