Is it possible to make a frame a bigger size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scarygerbil

maybe instead of a longer stem you could fit a custom made sleave into the seat tube paint it the frame colour then fit the seat into that

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You could replace all the tubes with longer ones and rebraze these to the original lugs. Might be worth upgrading the lugs at the same time so you can tweak the geometry a bit. Once you've replaced the tubes and lugs you can re-braze the old lugs and tubes and sell the leftoverz on
So, your reply is 'Buy a new frame"? :biggrin:
No. You can't make a frame bigger in reality. You can't cut and shut the tubes, and the lug angles can't be changed without buying new lugs. Why not just buy a frame that's the right size?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I thought of all these things myself, as I'm about 6'2", and wanted a Raleigh Sports. I'd keep finding them in the more standard smaller sizes, but, since I live in the States, the bigger ones are a bit rare. I finally found one of the larger 22.5 inch frames last year, after about 5 years of looking, and making do with smaller frames.

What sort of angles are on a 50s clubman? About the same as a slightly more moderner Raleigh tourer? Of which there are at least a couple of 25" machines for sale at the moment? Maybe?
Just trying to bring this thread back down out of the realms of Trigger's broom :laugh:

lukAs98

image.jpeg
If you go down the route of putting different parts on the bike to make it fit better. You should consider one of these seat posts as then you wouldn't have to push the seat back..

Last edited:
Trigger's broom

How much can you change before it no longer exists as the original

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have had an idea to try and re-build and customize an old Raleigh Lenton to suit a taller person but still look original. My idea was to change the 26'' rims to 27'' but keep original hubs, find a longer stem that looks as close as possible to the original and put the saddle as far back as possible. Now I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a 23'' frame into a 24'' or 25''? By cutting and extending the tubes? Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it? I think it would be amazing to have a totally original looking 50's club bike that I can actually ride and use and fits me well.

Cheers
You'd be able to go to 700c wheels but that wouldn't make the distance between the saddle and the pedals any further.
Long seatpost and longer taller stem would be the only way to go IMO.

stevevw

Guru
I think it would be great to turn up at a V-CC meeting with a 24" lenton. Would blow some minds. Ask Mario Vaz for his brothers contact details he is a frame builder. In fact I am seeing him in a couple of weeks if you want me to ask how much.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I think it would be great to turn up at a V-CC meeting with a 24" lenton. Would blow some minds. Ask Mario Vaz for his brothers contact details he is a frame builder. In fact I am seeing him in a couple of weeks if you want me to ask how much.

Yea that would be great if you could ask! Thanks

Top Bottom