Is it possible to make a frame a bigger size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I have had an idea to try and re-build and customize an old Raleigh Lenton to suit a taller person but still look original. My idea was to change the 26'' rims to 27'' but keep original hubs, find a longer stem that looks as close as possible to the original and put the saddle as far back as possible. Now I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a 23'' frame into a 24'' or 25''? By cutting and extending the tubes? Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it? I think it would be amazing to have a totally original looking 50's club bike that I can actually ride and use and fits me well.

Cheers

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have had an idea to try and re-build and customize an old Raleigh Lenton to suit a taller person but still look original. My idea was to change the 26'' rims to 27'' but keep original hubs, find a longer stem that looks as close as possible to the original and put the saddle as far back as possible. Now I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a 23'' frame into a 24'' or 25''? By cutting and extending the tubes? Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it? I think it would be amazing to have a totally original looking 50's club bike that I can actually ride and use and fits me well.

Cheers

You could replace all the tubes with longer ones and rebraze these to the original lugs. Might be worth upgrading the lugs at the same time so you can tweak the geometry a bit. Once you've replaced the tubes and lugs you can re-braze the old lugs and tubes and sell the leftoverz on

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I want it to look totally original (just bigger) so I wouldn't want to change the lugs. Im not too worried about frame angles either. Are there any frame builders that could do this for me? Do you think it would cost a lot?

midlife

Guru
Damn, thats a bit much for my likeing :sad: I think I will have to just make the wheels and stem bigger then.

That was taking a wild guess using Bob Jackson's frame repair prices which are at the top end. Someone like Keith Marshall might be cheaper but it's a lot of work...... Plus I'm not sure what tubing you would need to use for any modifications. 525?

Shaun

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Why oh why?

Because I would like to have a version of my favorite bicycle model that I can actually ride? And I enjoy projects like this?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Cheers

i was quoted aprox £80 to replace a damaged top tube by Lee Cooper Cycle Frames i would suggest contacting him for a quote

Top Bottom