Is it possible to tour with just a backpack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nb the Schwinn road bike posted earlier does not look like a very practical touring bike if you are carrying anything more than a credit card.

Re sleeping bags. Cotswolds are doing the North Face Kazoo for £150 at the moment, £60-70 off.

I agree, the Schwinn is not a practical touring bike at all. But I don't really have a lot of choice, down here we have to rely on cast offs from the US and Europe. You can't just go out and pick up a tourer, much as I'd like to. I could get a mountain bike but that would be too heavy. Steve has ruled out hiring and I have to admit it does seem ridiculous when I have bikes at hand. I might consider putting a triple ring on to make the gearing more suitable.

willem

Über Member
Keep the luggage (ultra) light and it will work, even if it is indeed not ideal. Another way to keep the weight down and not hit the panniers with your heels is to use the Hyalite (ex Pacific Outdoor) small ltw panniers (sold singly - be aware). These are very light (1 kg for a 36 litre set), tall and not very long from front to rear. They are probably the ideal shape for a short wheelbase bike. The fixings are R&K so should be first class. I have not seen them in real life, however.
Willem

Top Bottom