Is it possible to use an MTB frame..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
yes. If you do not have suspension. I have a Carerra Subway and this easily does 100km day rides. It can do pretty much everything my roadbike does, everything my MTB does, and everything my tourer does. I have upgraded wheels and drivetrain etc and I really look forward to using it. Which is sadly rare as it is at the back of the shed and the others get first picking!

RedBike

There's nothing stopping you using a MTB frame on the road and you can probably build one up into a great tourer; but you'll never turn a MTB into a top end race bike. The geometry is just all wrong.

I'll echo jay clock comments, only difference is mine is a Giant Escape. Very much a do everything bike. It has to, only bike I have B). (At the moment B))

Suppose its like using a Land Rover on the road. It will, but don't expect it to be as effective as a tool designed for the job. It will give you lots of bonus points when you nonchalantly overtake a lycra-clad roadie though;)

jay clock

Massive member
Suppose its like using a Land Rover on the road. It will, but don't expect it to be as effective as a tool designed for the job
It is more like having a 1.8 Golf vs a 3 litre BMW coupe.... but I get the point.

My estimate is that I might be 5-10% slower on my Subway than my winter road bike

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like this......... ? Stick on some 1.2 slicks and you are away....... 2.0 knobblies will be going on soon ish, and the guards will be off.....back to off road duties with some luck

DSCF1929.jpg

Tharg2007

Veteran
fossyant said:
Like this......... ? Stick on some 1.2 slicks and you are away....... 2.0 knobblies will be going on soon ish, and the guards will be off.....back to off road duties with some luck

does that mean the fixed will be here soon?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I flippin hope so - cycle scheme nearly sorted (I'm the pilot) - have been told next week...hmmmm, but I think within the next month I'll have it..yes... I need a few weeks getting used to fixed before we go on the CC track meet at then end of May...'cos some folk have been for sessions.......!

Tharg2007

Veteran
fossy i recon it will take you a few days tops to get used to fixed. If you dont freewheel much when you ride you should just click into it, will feel odd at first but then it will feel natural.
The only downside if when you go back on the geared, will feel all wrong that you can stop pedaling but keep going :evil:

Top Bottom