Is it possible..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
According to Park tool, you certainly can remove the seal and clean/ regrease.

You have nothing to lose by trying (apart from a bit of your time) so if it were me, I'd definitely be trying it and your bearings may well last some considerable time yet.

If they don't...nothing ventured and all that :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Unless I'm mistaken, that was Tangroups second post as a new member. What kinda message this bickering sends out I dread to think :whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Unless I'm mistaken, that was Tangroups second post as a new member. What kinda message this bickering sends out I dread to think :whistle:
Tangoup has already got well stuck in. See the recent Shimano cage length thread. Has also given a piece or two of poor advice and been corrected but seems to have stuck around, so don't worry.

They do need to learn to title their threads a bit better though and drop the stupid italic affectation, it's a bit annoying.

I googled do bearings scratch or chip , this was the fifth hit .

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213290213000436

2.2.3. Balls
Varying degrees of damage were observed on the balls (shown in Fig. 4); a few balls had severe damage, a few showed relatively less damage with the reminder showing only minor scratch marks.

I ignored the first four as they were manufacturer material and I have heeded your previous advice about peer reviewed material .

Scratch. v., noun. Score surface or make long narrow superficial wounds in with nails, claws or other pointed thing(s)

Now for the cited source's reference to bearing scratch:

Scratch marks.JPG

Please point to the scratches. What's shown there is flaking. Flaking is a well-known bearing ball problem stemming from the problem that the surface of the bearing ball is harder than the core. With overload, the deflection causes cracks just under the surface and bits flake off. I don't care about their semantics or about the authenticity of the source. The only thing that can scratch a bearing ball or race is something harder than the ball that's drawn across the surface of the ball/race and leaves a mark. That doesn't happen in bearings unless someone throws some carbide in there.

Bearing failures are well understood and misnomers like scratching don't change the facts.

Ditto for chip: definition, cut or break off edge.

Bearings are hard and striking them with a hard tool does produce chipping. However, in the context of a BB bearing inside a BB, chipping does not happen, nevermind by the said "radial compression". Bearing overload such as described causes galling. This form of bearing failure is easily identified as a combination of smearing and/or flaking.

Don't believe everything Google spews out. I can Google astrology for you if you like.

Scratch. v., noun. Score surface or make long narrow superficial wounds in with nails, claws or other pointed thing(s)

Now for the cited source's reference to bearing scratch:

View attachment 348666

Please point to the scratches. What's shown there is flaking. Flaking is a well-known bearing ball problem stemming from the problem that the surface of the bearing ball is harder than the core. With overload, the deflection causes cracks just under the surface and bits flake off. I don't care about their semantics or about the authenticity of the source. The only thing that can scratch a bearing ball or race is something harder than the ball that's drawn across the surface of the ball/race and leaves a mark. That doesn't happen in bearings unless someone throws some carbide in there.

Bearing failures are well understood and misnomers like scratching don't change the facts.

Ditto for chip: definition, cut or break off edge.

Bearings are hard and striking them with a hard tool does produce chipping. However, in the context of a BB bearing inside a BB, chipping does not happen, nevermind by the said "radial compression". Bearing overload such as described causes galling. This form of bearing failure is easily identified as a combination of smearing and/or flaking.

Don't believe everything Google spews out. I can Google astrology for you if you like.

You suggested to look it up .. i did and responded with what i found .. you have told me previously only to take heed of peer reviewed material and not from manufacturers ..Seems your previous advice regarding that was obviously wrong as you have clearly demonstrated above .
Your are right though , you shouldn't believe everything you read on Google or internet forums for that matter .

S-Express

Thanks for your input, but they were freshly greased by a local guru when it went in for a warranty job ~ 600 miles ago and by "poor" I just mean it sounds like they need a fresher coating / thicker coating of grease

That kind of underlines the point I'm making. Bearings in good condition are usually silent. Any sound suggests a less than perfect interface between ball and race. In other words, no amount of re-packing/re-greasing is going to fix your problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So is tonight about being pedantic ? Jesus ?

If the cassette bearings / or loose cage bearings are rough (or grumbling) it's usually done for. Depending upon where they are either means a new cassette bearing, or a new hub in cup and cone on a wheel.

As we've said, try re-greasing, if that doesn't work, then new. Simple.

So what's this new stuff about quantum mechanics in headsets ? ^_^

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Among all this chat I feel like I should hone-in once more.

I appreciate the advice on my subject and the mutual respect i've been reading here.

As some of you have said about the bearings feeling "Rough" and they should be replaced, yes, indeed you are quite right.

For me, However only the drive-side bearing is appearing rough, where-as the non-drive is completely healthy.
Bearing in mind these bearings have only <1000 miles on them and have NEVER been used in rainy conditions.

I have my own theories as to "why" but never-the-less, they do not feel rough when pre-loaded when the crank is torqued up.

They spin no louder and rougher than what i'd expect from fresh greased bearings, no excess noise or play either.
As I've said before, there's no sense replacing things without giving them a chance to work.

It's just rather interesting how my drive-side bearing ate ... so incredibly quickly in relation to the other in dry riding conditions..

S-Express

As some of you have said about the bearings feeling "Rough" and they should be replaced, yes, indeed you are quite right.
They spin no louder and rougher than what i'd expect from fresh greased bearings, no excess noise or play either.

Make your mind up fella. Either they are rough-sounding and need replacing, or not.

OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Make your mind up fella. Either they are rough-sounding and need replacing, or not.

"As some of you have said about the bearings feeling "Rough" and they should be replaced, yes, indeed you are quite right.

For me, However only the drive-side bearing is appearing rough."

I guess you didn't read the next line down. I'm making an exception to replacing the entire unit immediately.

If you're only going to look at my posts to nit-pick over something to complain about then I advise you to not bother replying at all.

Last edited:

S-Express

"As some of you have said about the bearings feeling "Rough" and they should be replaced, yes, indeed you are quite right.

For me, However only the drive-side bearing is appearing rough."

I guess you didn't read the next line down. I'm making an exception to replacing the entire unit immediately.

If you're only going to look at my posts to nit-pick over something to complain about then I advise you to not bother replying at all.

Get a grip mate, you're not worth the effort. You sound like you know everything anyway.

OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Get a grip mate, you're not worth the effort. You sound like you know everything anyway.

Mm. I think you need to calm down. You seem to bring alot of tension in your posts.. Not sure where it's coming from, or who you're trying to defend.

If i knew everything I wouldn't of made this post in the first place. Besides, I'm only 18 and have had about 6 years experience with bicycle mainteance. Common sense and logic can get you very far.

Try to breathe and learn to not take things so seriously. : p

Mm. I think you need to calm down. You seem to bring alot of tension in your posts.. Not sure where it's coming from, or who you're trying to defend.

If i knew everything I wouldn't of made this post in the first place. Try to breathe and learn to not take things so seriously. : p

Have you forgotten that you flounced less than 24 hours ago?

OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Have you forgotten that you flounced less than 24 hours ago?

I did? I'm sorry, to be honest upon reflection alot of my posts do seem to have a really.. "dead" feel to them, I don't put much emotion in them to really show you how i'm feeling. But, take my word i'm very laid back throughout my posts. (Atleast, irl)

S-Express

If i knew everything I wouldn't of made this post in the first place. Besides, I'm only 18 and have had about 6 years experience with bicycle mainteance. Common sense and logic can get you very far.

Try to breathe and learn to not take things so seriously. : p

This is great. As if arrogance was not enough, we are now being patronised by someone claiming to be 18. Gotta love the internet.,, :laugh:

Top Bottom